More threads by desiderata

desiderata

With ADHD an idea will come to mind and then a quick investigation of the idea. A plan will be hatched and all should be well. The problem is I seldom get past the idea because of distraction or straying from the original idea. Then there's the preparation and execution of the plan that I usually underestimate leaving an idea or project partially finished. I have dozens of partially finished projects and even more ideas that are dormant leaving me mentally tired and despondent. These are meaningful ideas and projects but there is no prioritization due to my mood playing a big role in it.

Daniel E.

daniel@psychlinks.ca
Administrator
If money/insurance is not an issue, a therapist can serve as a project manager of sorts in helping you commit to clear achievable goals for the week(s) ahead.

If money is an issue:

Finding Mental Health Care When Money Is Tight

In any case:

ACT: Therapy That's Uniquely Useful to an ADHD Brain

DBT: The Emotional Control Therapy You Need Now

Outside of therapy, what help me the most is working on my baseline anxiety since I have OCD. So, for me, exercising more, spending more time outdoors, socializing more, etc.

Daniel E.

daniel@psychlinks.ca
Administrator
Does participating in online (or in person) groups/forums/conferences related to your interests help at all? That can be one form of social facilitation.

Another idea, of course, is to use your strengths as productivity tools (directly or indirectly):

Work on your strengths, not your weaknesses...It's difficult to change any aspect of your personality by sheer force of will, and if it is a weakness you choose to work on, you probably won’t enjoy the process. If you don’t find pleasure or reinforcement along the way, then—unless you have the willpower of Ben Franklin—you’ll soon give up. But you don’t really have to be good at everything. Life offers so many chances to use one tool instead of another, and often you can use a strength to get around a weakness.

- Jonathan Haidt

Daniel E.

daniel@psychlinks.ca
Administrator
Similarly:

How do you get in the zone now? Under what circumstances do you succeed and thrive in your current life? Rather than focus on where you fall short, you need to identify how you get into the zone and function at remarkable levels.

I usually suggest that my patients carry around a notepad or a tape recorder for a month to write down or explain how they get in the zone.

Is it because they are intrigued? If so, what, specifically, in the task or situation intrigues them? Is it because they feel competitive? If so, what in the "opponent" or situation brings up the competitive juices?

At the end of the month, most people have compiled 50 or 60 different techniques that they know work for them. When called on to perform and become engaged, they now understand how their nervous system works and which techniques are helpful.

I have seen these strategies work for many ADDers, because they stepped back and figured out the triggers they need to pull. This approach does not try to change people with an ADHD nervous system into neurotypical people (as if that were possible), but gives lifelong help because it builds on their strengths.

Secrets of the ADHD Brain

desiderata

I do have a therapist that I don't see on a regular basis due to time constraints and lack of energy. The lack of energy is worrisome because with that is that my entire body aches and I feel noticeably weaker as time goes on. I have just seen my doctor for a 3 month check-up and my meds for diabetes, blood pressure, and cholesterol have been increased. I have often thought my psychotropic medication has had an effect on my physical state and now the meds for my physical state are conflicting with or negating the positive effects of my mental state.
It's a tough balance to achieve; mind, body, spirit but unfortunately my body is below 60% leaving my spirit at about the same percentage.

Retired

desiderata said:
now the meds for my physical state are conflicting with or negating the positive effects of my mental state

In what way it that happening...do you mean because of drug / drug interactions or side effects of your meds for diabetes, blood pressure, and cholesterol ?

If the former, your doctor should be able to manage any conflicts between meds by choosing a different compound within the same class of meds. If the latter, the specific side effect should be reported so modifications in dosage and/or compound can be made.

Have you discussed this with your doctor?

David Baxter PhD

Late Founder
I have had that problem too, certainly in the past and possibly even currently. Unfortunately, switching up medications to try to find the optimal combination is a long trial-and-error process and sometimes it can lead to one or more of your meds not being optimal for the condition it is treating.

My doctor wants to add in a cholesterol medication again - I've had bad side effects from at least 2 of those in the past - so I may be looking at dealing with this issue again soon. :(

desiderata

I have to agree with David Baxter. Both of my doctors (psychiatric and general) are well aware of all medications and to find the balance is a lot of trial-and-error. It is a difficult balance to find.

Replying is not possible. This forum is only available as an archive.