More threads by Retired

Retired

TORONTO, July 17, 2007 -

The McGuinty government is expanding medicare by launching a brand new service called MedsCheck for all Ontarians who take three or more medications.

MedsCheck is a free service that provides people with an opportunity to consult with their pharmacist for up to 30 minutes once a year to review the medications they are taking, Health and Long-Term Care Minister George Smitherman announced today.

"This is the first program of its kind in Canada and it will ensure that people are getting the most from their medications by taking them properly and safely," said Smitherman. "We recognize pharmacists for the valuable role they play in patient care - that is why we have created the MedsCheck program."

Under the MedsCheck program all Ontarians who take three or more prescription medications for chronic conditions can receive an annual one-on-one review of their medications from a pharmacist.

Source

Attachments

• medsck.jpg
    medsck.jpg
    10.2 KB · Views: 0

ladylore

Account Closed
Very cool. I am glad Ontario finally has a program like that. Here in BC, at least in my area you have to ask the pharmacist to take the time and go over what your taking, what its used for, possible reactions...etc. Its a bit scary. Thanks for the article.

Ladylore

Retired

you have to ask the pharmacist to take the time and go over what your taking

Despite the formalized program the Ontario government has initiated to pay pharmacists $50 for doing what they should be doing in the first place, it would be strongly recommended to anyone who buys a prescription at their local pharmacy to take a couple of minutes to consult with the pharmacist.

Many pharmacies employ technicians to count and dispense the prescription which is then checked by the pharmacist on duty for accuracy.

If it is the technician who delivers the prescription to the client, the client should ask to speak to the pharmacist to ask some important questions. A pharmacy technician cannot answer most of these questions

The questions that should be asked are:

• How do I take this?
  • When do I take this and/ or how often and for how long?
  • Do I have to be careful about any foods or beverages while taking this medication?
  • Should I be concerned about this prescription interacting with any other prescription or over the counter medication I may be taking?
  • How many times can I repeat this prescription?
  • Is this the original brand name medication or is this a generic? (it should be your choice as to which are dispensed to you)

Retired

A helpful document to print is Questions to Ask About Medications, in PDF :acrobat: format and is a free download from the site provider, written by Dr. Leslie Packer.

Although the document refers to specific disorders, the "questions to ask" would apply to anyone receiving a prescription.

Replying is not possible. This forum is only available as an archive.