More threads by ghost10

ghost10

Hey,
I know it's kinda stupid to self diagnose (esspecially being in pre-med) but i cant help it. I was looking this up at paranoid personality disorder really seems to fit me. I was just wondering if anyone else has it or knows a lot about it? I don't know what to do. If i mention it to my boyfriend or something I dont think he'll really listen and I just started therapy last week and dont want to go in this week and ask about it. Thanks.
G

ghost10

i have another embarressing question. I know everyone talks to them selves a little, but how much is actually normal and what isnt?

David Baxter PhD

Late Founder
When I'm alone, especially when I'm concentrating on something or trying to remember something, I talk to myself frequently. It's pretty much like thinking out loud.

ghost10

so what isnt normal?

---------- Post added at 09:14 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:36 PM ----------

also like in your head? not actual talking?

Retired

I know everyone talks to them selves a little, but how much is actually normal and what isnt?
Many famous media and business tycoons and politicians will rehearse an important presentation, speaking out loud, usually in a private space to avoid distractions and onlookers.

By vocalizing something allows you to put the thoughts in order and to prepare the "segways" you need to to move from one topic to the next.

Presenting to yourself out loud, also creates a living environment for your presentation, where your mind is more likely to formulate possible challenges and even potential questions from your imagined audience, allowing you to work those out before actually facing your live audience.

Hearing your presentation out loud gives you the advantage of actually hearing what it could sound like, so that your critical ear can fine tune any misplaced words or phrases, and even fine tune intonations...something that is virtually impossible to do on paper.

I used most of the techniques described whenever I gave a presentation to a group, as my private dress rehearsal. Whenever possible, I would actually go to the venue of the presentation, stand at the podium or table or desk, test the micorpphone and if possible run through my presentation.

It worked in my profession for me, and it may well work for you.

Much of what I learned about rehearsing out loud came from a biography of William Randolph Hearst. I believe Henry Ford used similar strategies.

CarlaMarie

I just had a conversation with someone about self diagnosis. I will share. I am a perpetrator of the self diagnosis. I must admit I am not always wrong. I can be good sometimes. She (who knows me well) said that I must have been told a long time ago I was stupid because for some reason I have to come up with the answers to my problems. She is the one who has to tell me I am not an M.D.. I am afraid to ask. I am afraid of not knowing the answer. Isn't that interesting. I didn't know but now that I think about it that fear is completely plausible.

I personally have diagnosed myself with many psychological disorders. I resonate with symptoms of many. I have had DID, I think I have Borderline Personality Disorder but they are being nice to me and just won't tell me, I mean I could go on and on. The only stuff I have seen on paper is PTSD, depression anxiety,eating disorder nos. I want to say I did not know how powerful anxiety and depression actually are.

I can't say I will stop self diagnosing. I will also get an expert opinion.

ghost10

I self diagnose a lot too. Im the same way scared to ask but need to know. I just think somethings wrong with me. The one thing that really scares me is I'll have like 2 sided conversations with myself in my head. And i'm embarrassed even saying that online. Idk though.

Dragonfly, the symptoms seem to fit. The symptoms listed on Cleveland Clinic are Doubt the commitment, loyalty, or trustworthiness of others, believing others are using or deceiving them
Are reluctant to confide in others or reveal personal information due to a fear that the information will be used against them
Are unforgiving and hold grudges
Are hypersensitive and take criticism poorly
Read hidden meanings in the innocent remarks or casual looks of others
Perceive attacks on their character that are not apparent to others; they generally react with anger and are quick to retaliate
Have recurrent suspicions, without reason, that their spouses or lovers are being unfaithful
Are generally cold and distant in their relationships with others, and might become controlling and jealous
Cannot see their role in problems or conflicts, believing they are always right
Have difficulty relaxing
Are hostile, stubborn, and argumentative.
The only one I don't relate to it believe I'm always right. I can admit when I think something is my fault. I actually think a lot is my fault. But everything else is true.

Dragonfly

Global Moderator & Practitioner
ghost10 - I know it can be frustrating. But I really don't think that anyone on this site would do you the disservice of agreeing with, or disaggreeing with, a particular diagnosis. You deserve way more than to have a dignosis given to you based on posts on an internet forum. I would really encourage you to talk with your therapist about this - I know its hard. But really, they are in the best place to look at this with you. Please let me / us know how it goes. All the best,

Replying is not possible. This forum is only available as an archive.