More threads by David Baxter PhD

David Baxter PhD

Late Founder
Parents who pressure create 'disconnected' generation
August 01, 2006

SAN RAFAEL, Calif. (UPI) -- California psychologist Madeline Levine has said parents who pressure their children have created an "extremely unhappy, disconnected and passive" generation.

Levine, a mother of three who has worked as a clinical psychologist for 25 years, said in her new book, The Price of Privilege, that a large number of children with over-involved parents suffer from depression, anxiety and substance abuse, The Washington Post reported Tuesday.

"Kids aren't having the experiences that are mandatory for healthy child development -- and that's a period of time to be left alone, to figure out who you are, to experiment with different things, to fail, and to develop a repertoire of responses to challenge," Levine told a recent question and answer session. "They have no interior life. It's all about performance -- and performance is not real learning."

The psychologist said the problems are especially widespread in affluent families.

"Parents have this notion that their child is supposed to be a certain way, because performance is so highly valued in affluent communities. Parental love has become contingent on performance, which is very damaging."

Similar threads

6 Psychologically Damaging Things Parents Say To Their Kids Without Realizing It By Catherine Pearson, HuffPost Parenting 06/24/2021 Erase these common phrases from your parenting vocabulary. Parents don’t set out to say hurtful or harmful things to their children, but it happens. You’re tired, they’re pushing your buttons, and you’re frustrated after asking them for the 600th time to clear their plates or get out the door on time. You could also be inadvertently repeating things you heard...
Replies
Views
Sometimes it's helpful in any type of relationship to look past the surface behavior for ways that might reveal what is going on under the surface, both for you and for the other person. Gary Chapman wrote a book a while back called The Five Love Languages, which by now has been expanded to a series of 11 books covering different types of relationships. The original is a short read and at the time was written primarily for couples therapy but really it applies to any type of relationship...
Replies
Views
What My Parents Did to Me and Why I Cut Them Out of My Life By Jen Hinkkala , Tiny Buddha Oct 26, 2020 I wrote this letter to my extended family years after I chose to become estranged from my parents because many of them cut me out of their lives instead of reaching out to hear my side of the story. It pains me that I have lost contact with some of them because they refuse to see the full picture, and at times I feel as though I have lost a part of myself. Yet, at the same time, I...
Replies
Views
7 Signs Your Parents’ Love Was (and Is) Conditional by Kimberly Diaz-Rosso, Tiny Buddha Feb 20, 2020 “The beauty of the truth; whether it is good or bad, it is liberating.” ~ Paulo Coelho It’s around the time of your mother or father’s birthday. You browse through the card aisles of your local store getting more and more frustrated because you cannot relate to any of the cards you read. You eventually pick out the most generic birthday card you can find and think, “Okay, I’m off the...
Replies
Views
What Are the Best ADHD Resources for Parents Today? by Nathaly Pesantez, ADDitude Nov 26, 2019 Q: "What new ADHD information is available that is different than 20 years ago? I raised an ADHD step-son and now face that again with my 9 year old." ~ ASmith I love this question! When my son was diagnosed more than 15 years ago, there existed few ADHD resources for parents to help us untangle his condition both at home and at school. I vividly remember looking in my town's public...
Replies
Views