More threads by Holly

Holly

Partner Rape | RAINN | Rape, Abuse and Incest National Network

Definition:
Sexual acts committed without a person's consent and/or against a person's will when the perpetrator is the individual?s current partner (married or not), previous partner, or co-habitator.

3 types of Partner Rape:
  1. Battering rape- The experience of both physical and sexual violence within a relationship. Some may experience physical abuse during the sexual assault. Others may experience sexual assault after a physical assault as an attempt to "make up."
  2. Force-only Rape- Motivated by a perpetrator?s need to demonstrate power and maintain control. Therefore, he/she asserts his/her feelings of entitlement over his/her partner in the form of forced sexual contact.
  3. Obsessive/Sadistic Rape- Sadistic sexual assault involves torture and perverse sexual acts. Such rape is characteristically violent and often leads to physical injury.
Physical and Emotional Reactions:

Physical:
  • Injuries to the vaginal and anal areas
  • Lacerations
  • Soreness
  • Bruising
  • Torn muscles
  • Fatigue
  • Vomiting
  • Broken bones
  • Black eyes
  • Injuries cause by weapons
  • Miscarriages
  • Stillbirths
  • Contraction of STIs , including HIV
Emotional:
  • Anxiety
  • Shock
  • Intense fear
  • Depression
  • Suicidal ideation
  • Post-traumatic stress disorder
  • Betrayal
  • Fundamental loss of trust
Research indicates that survivors of partner rape are more likely to be raped multiple times when compared to stranger and acquaintance rape survivors. As such, partner rape survivors are more likely to suffer severe and long lasting physical and psychological injuries.

This section was adapted from materials provided by the Texas Association Against Sexual Assault.

Partner Rape

Last edited by a moderator:
thanks fo rthis post i really find that it helps to see things from another perspective... so many people think that just because you are going out with the guy or anything that it automaticly means he basicly owns youand can do whatever he wants with you in any way
thanks
again
ashley

Holly

Hi Ashley-Kate,
Thank you for the wonderful comments about this topic. I think what you are saying is very true. I am glad you read the article, once again thank you for taking the time to comment.
take care Holly :)

Mia713

I agree with what Ashley said. Just because someone might have been intimate with their partner in the past, does not give them the right to take what they want whenever they want it. I don't think people view this type of rape as a big deal.

Holly

Hi Everyone,
I just wanted to thank you all for taking the time to post on Partner Rape, the honesty in every post, being sensitive to this topic issue!
Take care :)

poohbear

Just wanted to say I'm definitely NOT one of the people that thinks this stuff is "no big deal"-- although I know of and have met those who think like that. It sickens me to even think about it. I suppose I'm a little on the "biased victim/survivor" side. Rape is vastly underreported, and partner rape, even less. Victims often feel there is nothing they can do about it. Or maybe they aren't quite ready to leave the situation (battered wives/spouses/partner syndrome) and feel that reporting it will only escalate the abuse. It's a catch 22 for victims in this situation. I could go on and on. Women's issues is sort of a platform of mine, in a sense. I like to be informed!--Poohbear

Holly

Hi poohbear,
I respect your honesty in the comments, being a victim of a brutal assault, I know it can be very difficult for many to come forward, seek out medical treatment even.
It is a choice, I like to let the people who email me, reach me personally to know that, the most important thing is that a victims of any brutal crime men/women do feel safe when reporting, are seeking treatment.
Healing and finding yourself, soul after being violated is a process!
I also would like to add, it is only education awareness, prevention in our schools, that we can stop the violence!
Many cultures do not even acknowledged partner rape.
Thank you for taking the time to read the post, take care.

foghlaim

hi Holly, until reading your article above on partner rape, i hadn't realised the impact, severe impact it has on the victim. i knew it has some impact cause i too was a victim of partner (husband) rape\s, (many yrs ago). i was especially taken by the list of emotional reactions. a lot of those i would have buried at the time and carried on as if nothing had happened. I felt at the time that no-one would believe me and so blocked it out. yrs later after i left him, i had to ask was there such a thing as rape within marriage. That is how dense i was. however i did receive counselling in the R.C.C. and it was very good for me at the time. but now recently, these events (and other things) are floating around in my head once more.
anyway my point in writing this piece was i have often thought just how much of the emotional state i find myself in can be attributed to those events. Your article has help me pinpoint some things for myself.

thank you.

nsa

Holly

Hi notsureanymore,
Your comments are important and your not dense. Many women do not know about Partner Rape, many states do not even accept partner rape, it is a new area for all the medical professional/police/states/ to deal with in the area of abuse. I am sorry about your experience, I can not image the anguish it must have caused, you have to remember you did not asked to be assaulted by your husband.
NO MEANS NO EVEN IN A MARRIAGE. I am so proud of you for having the courage in telling us about your personal experience.
I admire and honour your strength in doing so, thank you for sharing this horrific experience with us.
I wanted to add I wish you all the best in healing, glad you did get some help. Your speaking out will help others!
Take care your in my thoughts, notsureanymore. :)

Replying is not possible. This forum is only available as an archive.