More threads by Banned

Banned

Banned
I'm toying with the idea of getting a pet snake, if I can find one from an ethical breeder.

Does anyone have any experience with snakes as pets? Are they high-maintenance, low maintenance, medium? Do you have a preferred kind? I'm thinking maybe a corn snake (I heard they make excellent pets) or something like that. I do like boas but they grow to be far too big.

Anyway I just thought I'd see if anyone here has any experience or knowledge of this...

Jackie

Hi Turtle,

My partner use to keep snakes and spiders before I met him. I don't know much about it but when I see him again I will ask, it maybe a short while as he is away with his work at the moment.:)

Banned

Banned
Cool. :) I don't have much of a hankering for spiders, but snakes would be neat, and they could be quite trainable, I think.

NicNak

Resident Canuck
Administrator
Remember, though:

Cats are cool, snakes drool.

I thought it was Cats Rule, Dogs Drool :teehee:

I have always enjoyed the Corn Snakes and there is also a Milk Snake that is actually really beautiful red white and black.

Only thing to be careful of, is although venomous snakes are banned as pets in Canada, there are some mildly venomous snakes that are available and still legal.

It is good you are doing your homework ahead of time. You are right about Boas some get huge.

These are cute, Mid Baja Rosy Boa (photos incase someone is sqeemish)

Here is a list of some other Rosy Boas rosyboas.com v3.2

Generally the laws for keeping reptiles or any other species are that if they are native to your area, you will not be able to have them as a pet.

unionmary

Remember, though:

Cats are cool, snakes drool.

Sooooo cool, :D

---------- Post added at 04:40 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:38 PM ----------

Question....do you have to pooper scooper when you take your snake walking? How does the leash collar stay on?

Jackie

I spoke to him very quickly last night and he said he had a boa, plus some lizards and a few slow worms,which look like a tiny snake and a tarantula spider called Shirley:lol: He said your best looking on online and reading up on what snake would be best for you and your lifestyle, he recommends a boa but he biased and its not always the best one to start with. Have found this site which seems quite comprehensive.

Emerald Tree Boas | Snake Tips, How To's and Snake Videos | Boatips.com

He said he had to have a license for his pets but it was a few years ago and maybe laws are different where you are, but its something I would look into.

Banned

Banned
That's hardly a fair comparison. I'm not thinking of getting an anaconda.

I've actually heard that corn snakes make really good pets, and stay quite small. I'm looking forward to clicker training it to do tricks. :)

Oh my... :turtle3:

That is a brave move! Snakes scare the crap out of me!
Just don't get anything you have to feed live meals to.... :mouse:
:yikes: :eek:mg:

Banned

Banned
I don't even know what corn snakes eat...I'd have to check it out. I think usually you don't feed live, because the rodent in question can actually damage the snake.

NicNak

Resident Canuck
Administrator
I don't even know what corn snakes eat...I'd have to check it out. I think usually you don't feed live, because the rodent in question can actually damage the snake.

My friend has one at his rescue. They eat pinkys. So they do not hurt the snake, you buy them frozen and thaw them for feeding.

That is the "humane" way to feed any reptile is frozen rodents.

I hate to bring bad news...

Corn Snakes primarily eat mice. You can feed them insects...but most are generally uninterested. You don't have to feed them live mice though. Most people I know who have had corn snakes feed them frozen mice because feeding them live mice tends to make them more aggressive with food and movements.

Baby corn snakes will eat pinkies (baby mice)....and then move on to larger mice when they are older.

I don't know Turtle...maybe a Turtle would be a better pet?! :lol:

Banned

Banned
I can handle feeding mice. Heck I could probably catch them in my basement, saving me alot of money :D.

I had pet turtles. They are ALOT of work, and very dirty. I would get another one when I can have a pond in the backyard, so it can live outside most of the year. I don't have the time to clean a tank constantly. I actually used to have frogs, turtles, and newts, and I'd race them. :D (The turtles actually usually won).

LOL
Basement...ugh...gross! But...that would save you money I guess. Except that you'd have to catch them and then kill them and then feed them.....uhhhhh...just the thought makes me want to vomit.

I'd love to have a Turtle, but I hear (like you say) that they are a ton of work. I know someone that has 3 of them and they say it's so much work, and very messy.

I hope you find a little critter (whatever it may be) that works well for you...and that you can hide from you mom :lol:

Banned

Banned
I had pet mice in grade eight (three of them) and my mom found them. To this day she won't tell me what she did with them. I tried having a hamster in grade 12 and it was wickedly vicious, so I gave it to my guidance counsellor. I don't seem to have much luck with rodents. I'd have a rat but it's illegal in Alberta. I'd LOVE a pig, but I can't hide that from my mom.

Andy

MVP
I had 2 pet mice too. They were the white lab mice with pink eyes. I named them Cheech and Chong.:blush: I also had a hamster but I accidently killed her.:sorry:

I have heard that rats are cool pets. I want one to but alas the whole illegal in alberta thing.

Turtle, did you know you can buy mini pigs now? I don't mean pot belly pigs, they are like mini me pigs, about the size of a chihuahua, maybe a bit bigger. I'd get one of those if I could. I'd have one of everything if I could. :crazy:

Replying is not possible. This forum is only available as an archive.