More threads by Retired

Retired

This is not intended to be profound or a clich?, but I wanted to share a couple of sayings I recently heard that might apply to many of the situations our members struggle with:

Every long journey begins with a single step.

God doesn't expect us to succeed at everything, just to try.

No big deal, just a few words that I know can help me.

Would you have one or two that could be added?

Halo

Here are a couple including one that I just heard from a friend:

• Keep believing in yourself.

• One day at a time, one step at a time.

• Put one foot in front of the other.

• There is light at the end of the tunnel.

I remember one about HALT.
Don't get too Hungry, Angry, Lonely, or Tired. I think that's how it goes. Or try not to let yourself get too much that way.

I think something like "focus on the now" is good too. You can't change the past or do much about the future, so try to stay in the moment.

Last edited:

just mary

Don't think about tomorrow just focus on today

Day by day, minute by minute, second by second

and then there is the geese analogy:

The Goose Story

This spring when you see geese heading north for the summer flying along in a "V" formation, you might be interested in knowing what science has discovered about why they fly that way.

It has been learned that as each bird flaps its wings, it creates an uplift for the bird immediately following. By flying in a "V" formation, the whole flock adds at least 71% greater flying range than if each bird flew on its own.

(People who share a common direction and sense of community can get where they are going quicker and easier, because they are traveling on the thrust of one another.)

Whenever a goose falls out of formation, it suddenly feels the drag and resistance of trying to go it alone, and quickly gets into formation to take advantage of the lifting power of the bird immediately in front.

(If we have as much sense as a goose, we will stay in formation with those who are headed the same way we are going.)

When the lead goose gets tired, she rotates back in the wing and another goose flies point.

(It pays to take turns doing hard jobs - with people or with geese flying north.)

The geese honk from behind to encourage those up front to keep up their speed.

(What do we say when we honk from behind?)

Finally

(Now I want you to get this),

when a goose gets sick, or is wounded by gun shots and falls out, two geese fall out of formation and follow him down to help and protect him. They stay with him until he is either able to fly or until he is dead, and then they launch out on their own or with another formation to catch up with the group.

(If we have the sense of a goose, we will stand by each other like that.)

jm

jm thank you for that wonderful post. i think the sense of community is so very important for our overall well-being. very nice illustration :)

sunset

Don't think about tomorrow just focus on today

Day by day, minute by minute, second by second

and then there is the geese analogy:

The Goose Story

This spring when you see geese heading north for the summer flying along in a "V" formation, you might be interested in knowing what science has discovered about why they fly that way.

It has been learned that as each bird flaps its wings, it creates an uplift for the bird immediately following. By flying in a "V" formation, the whole flock adds at least 71% greater flying range than if each bird flew on its own.

(People who share a common direction and sense of community can get where they are going quicker and easier, because they are traveling on the thrust of one another.)

Whenever a goose falls out of formation, it suddenly feels the drag and resistance of trying to go it alone, and quickly gets into formation to take advantage of the lifting power of the bird immediately in front.

(If we have as much sense as a goose, we will stay in formation with those who are headed the same way we are going.)

When the lead goose gets tired, she rotates back in the wing and another goose flies point.

(It pays to take turns doing hard jobs - with people or with geese flying north.)

The geese honk from behind to encourage those up front to keep up their speed.

(What do we say when we honk from behind?)

Finally

(Now I want you to get this),

when a goose gets sick, or is wounded by gun shots and falls out, two geese fall out of formation and follow him down to help and protect him. They stay with him until he is either able to fly or until he is dead, and then they launch out on their own or with another formation to catch up with the group.

(If we have the sense of a goose, we will stand by each other like that.)

jm

Love it! I always wondered why they flew like that. Its amazing how they just know to do this. Not like anyone taught them that.

Replying is not possible. This forum is only available as an archive.