More threads by Hunter

Hunter

I've had PTSD now for 12 years.

I've had sleep issues for most of my life since I was 12 when my brother molested me ...could not sleep because I knew he was coming to my room daily.

I've been in therapy for 12 years, three therapists who didn't really help me. But since 2018 I've had a really great therapist. He's kind, caring, and compassionate. I've been taking narcotics for pain for several years to the point where I now have a bleeding ulcer, that I need surgery. My biggest issue is that I can't sleep. I have flashbacks during the day and horrible nightmares at night. I can sleep for about two hours some nights that's it. There have been times where I have not slept for days? I am so physically and mentally exhausted. I am so tired that I feel that I can just fall down. I have tried warm baths, sleeping pills, going for walks, sleepy Time tea.,nothing works....I am so pissed off.

Thanks for your comments

Daniel E.

daniel@psychlinks.ca
Administrator
Hi Hunter, good to "see" you again.

Are you on prescription heartburn medication now for your bleeding ulcer? Because of your bleeding ulcer, are you no longer taking narcotics or NSAIDs?

re: sleeping pills

Have you seen a psychiatrist about your insomnia? If so but it has been a while, it may help to go back (and/or to see your GP).

Even some antidepressants can help induce sleep such as Remeron and Trazodone. When I was on Remeron many years ago, it seemed I was more asleep than awake :) But from what I have just read, these medications can increase the risk of GI bleeding.

Last year, you mentioned you had chronic pain pretty bad. As you probably know, other than narcotics, there are meds that can help with chronic pain like gabapentin that can have a side effect of helping with sleep. (Incidentally, in studies I have read, various psych meds can help with chronic pain in some way.)

Last edited:

Daniel E.

daniel@psychlinks.ca
Administrator
I've been taking narcotics for pain for several years to the point where I now have a bleeding ulcer, that I need surgery.

How is your back pain now? My husband had a laminectomy last year but still had a lot of chonic back pain in the lower parts of his back. So he agreed to have a spinal cord stimulator put in a few months ago, and it has helped a lot. He went from an average pain level of 4 to 7 (out of 10) in his back to a 1 or 2.

Replying is not possible. This forum is only available as an archive.