More threads by David Baxter PhD

David Baxter PhD

Late Founder
What Is This ?Polar Vortex? That Is Freezing the U.S.?
By Mark Fischetti
January 6, 2014

As I write these words, temperatures across half the U.S. are plummeting like a rock. Extreme lows are forecast by tonight: -32 degrees Fahrenheit in Fargo, N.D.; -21 degrees F in Madison, Wisc.; -15 degrees F in Chicago and Indianapolis, according to the National Weather Service. Wind chills will reach a bizarre 60 degrees below zero F in some places, freezing exposed skin within one minute. That number is more typical for Mars?at night, according to the Curiosity rover NASA has free-wheeling over there.

As each hour passes, more and more television and radio reporters are attributing the insane cold to a ?polar vortex? up in northern Canada. Vortex, yes, but upper Canada? Not exactly. One forecaster called the beast a hurricane in the Arctic, which is dramatic but wrong. So what is this mysterious marvel and why is it invading America?

The polar vortex is a prevailing wind pattern that circles the Arctic, flowing from west to east all the way around the Earth. It normally keeps extremely cold air bottled up toward the North Pole. Occasionally, though, the vortex weakens, allowing the cold air to pour down across Canada into the U.S., or down into other regions such Eastern Europe. In addition to bringing cold, the air mass can push the jet stream?the band of wind that typically flows from the Pacific Ocean across the U.S.?much further south as well. If the jet stream puts up a fight, the moisture it carries can fall out as heavy snow, which atmospheric scientists say is the circumstance that caused the February 2010 ?snowmageddon? storm that shut down Washington, D.C.

But why does the vortex weaken? Now it gets interesting. More and more Arctic sea ice is melting during summer months. The more ice that melts, the more the Arctic Ocean warms. The ocean radiates much of that excess heat back to the atmosphere in winter, which disrupts the polar vortex. Data taken over the past decade indicate that when a lot of Arctic sea ice disappears in the summer, the vortex has a tendency to weaken over the subsequent winter, if related atmospheric conditions prevail over the northern Atlantic Ocean. The situation looks something like that shown in the graphic below. (For a full explanation, see the Scientific American article that accompanies the graphic.)

Although the extent of summer sea ice in the Arctic varies year to year, overall it has been disappearing to a notable degree since 2007 and it is forecast to continue to vanish even further. That could mean more trouble for the polar vortex, and more frigid outbreaks?a seeming contradiction to ?global warming,? perhaps, but not for ?global weirding,? also known as climate change.

vortex-graphic.png
Graphic by XNR Productions

adaptive1

MVP, Forum Supporter
MVP
Gosh it's so cold out that my house won't warm up. It's -45 with the wind chill so I can't sleep.

but apparently it will be -11 by Thursday. That's almost tropical,weather these days. I can't wait to get outside.

MHealthJo

MVP, Forum Supporter
MVP
:eek: I'm so sorry to hear that, Steve. How long do you think you and your wife will be able to survive at those temperatures?

Dr Baxter, you just managed to somehow convey perfect deadpan delivery of a smart alec sarcastic comment even though we are using nothing but the medium of text. I applaud you, sir. X) X)

Gosh it's so cold out that my house won't warm up. It's -45 with the wind chill so I can't sleep.

but apparently it will be -11 by Thursday. That's almost tropical,weather these days. I can't wait to get outside.

my furnace could not keep up either adaptive house would not go above 16celius dam cold it was but warmer today

What a week.....Today, I am so grateful that after three day of a cold spell, snow squalls, blizzard and all the roads being closed for the three days; the roads finally opened late this afternoon....I can go buy some milk if there still is milk in the stores....that the weather has finally slowed down. Spend most of the week cancelling and rescheduling appointment. No one went anywhere..No school...No work...well only shoveling the snow. Children needed to get to College...I was able to get my son to the Airport for his flight only for him to be told at the last moment that his flight was delayed .....then delayed......then delayed and finally cancelled...so he was at the airport for over 24 hours trying to get a flight back to College. Oh...and of course his luggage has gone missing in all this chaos.

While the other child is finally going back tomorrow, only to come back home because she struggled through the first semester and did not do well at all.

Which is causing me to struggle and feel like I felted before I ended up in hospital...as well my threrapist is back in hospital due to her illness...

What a week....Tomorrow WILL be brighter....I hope...

What a week

What a week.....Today, I am so grateful that after three day of a cold spell, snow squalls, blizzard and all the roads being closed for the three days; the roads finally opened late this afternoon....I can go buy some milk if there still is milk in the stores....that the weather has finally slowed down. Spend most of the week cancelling and rescheduling appointment. No one went anywhere..No school...No work...well only shoveling the snow. Children needed to get to College...I was able to get my son to the Airport for his flight only for him to be told at the last moment that his flight was delayed .....then delayed......then delayed and finally cancelled...so he was at the airport for over 24 hours trying to get a flight back to College. Oh...and of course his luggage has gone missing in all this chaos.

While the other child is finally going back tomorrow, only to come back home because she struggled through the first semester and did not do well at all.

Which is causing me to struggle and feel like I felted before I ended up in hospital...as well my threrapist is back in hospital due to her illness...

What a week....Tomorrow WILL be brighter....I hope...

What a week
Oh hell hun what a week for sure I do hope tomorrow things look a little brighter try to rest

I hope your the child that struggled first semester can talk to some councilors to see how she can get some help to move forward in her studies
One day at a time ok hun hugs

Thanks so much Forgetmenot for the encouragement....I am lookiing into options to help her, also a way for her to be able to go back to college in September.

Oh Well at least most roads are open so we can get out, it finally is a nice -10 C with light flurries. There is still one road closed...so no school again today...as for tomorrow, school will be a choice in this house.

Living here certainly teaches you how to go with the flow winter.

Well.....

Winter is back in our area. All roads in our area have been closed for over 24 hours and the major roads have been closed since noon on Friday. So, we are homebound again.... wondering for how long. The first storm, we were housebound for three days. Oh well this happens in winter in this area.

I am glad I picked up my daughter from school on Friday after exams or she would still be at school. I was planning to do this because I was going to do things in the town she goes to school in. Thou, I really thought that school would be cancel or buses would not be running on Friday morning, the buses did run. I do believe it is because they are doing their final exams for this term. As I was driving to pick her up I was encountering white outs due to the blowing snow and it took me twice as long to get to the school then I usually take. As I drove out of town to drive back to our town the road was closed; so I needed to use the secondary roads (the back roads). I made it home without getting lost or stuck in a snowbank or ending up in the ditch. My anxiety was really high during the drive, what was great was the the children did not notice how nervous I was and the concern I had about making it home. This storm is bad because even my husband's work told their employees to go home at 1:30.

So winter is back ... according to environment Canada the blowing snow and snow squalls are to last till Tuesday...Oh well time to buy a snowmobile so that we can get around in storms like this..everyone in the household is in agreement except my husband. I still think I am starting to save for one.

yes winter is back dam just spent two hours trying to unshovel snow that went half way up our doors and part of driveway so hsb has a place to park when he gets home that is it no more thank god for 4x4 we actually drove through snow drifts as tall as our jeep dam scary snow all over and you just cannot see. no more driving or being a passenger for me in this type weather i am staying inside period.

I am in the US South and it is supposed to be horribly cold here this coming week. I don't see how you all live like this so much. I want to hibernate.

Retired

I am in the US South and it is supposed to be horribly cold here this coming week. I don't see how you all live like this so much. I want to hibernate.

Agreed! These cold temperatures even go against what we know from the bible!

Lets face it, you have never seen a picture of Adam and Eve in overcoats or shoveling snow.

It just ain't natural! :coffee:

Replying is not possible. This forum is only available as an archive.