More threads by Superiority Tails

Halo

First of all I think for me I started out trusting everyone...as I had no reason not to. But it was pretty soon afterwards that it became pretty clear to me who I could trust and who I thought that I just needed to keep a little distance from. It was not that they were a bad person but for me they most likely a trigger.

Also, this forum is good because we have a lot of moderators and the Administrator on here that keep an eye on what happens on the forum and if someone is seen not following the rules or being disrespectful or hurtful to other members then they are dealt with immediately. You can also send a pm to any of the moderators or the Administrator to let them know of an incident or if something happens.

ThatLady

We don't really have a problem with people getting into arguments on these boards, as a rule, ST. If someone feels they're being insulted, or badly treated, they can let any of the moderators know, and/or they can let the administrator know. It's best not to get into "board wars", since they never do any good, and often do no more than cause hurt feelings and resentment.

Thankfully, as I said, that's something that just doesn't happen here. :)

Does this mean that if I get into an agrument and people are insulting me without me knowing why. I won't get warned or banned.

Also, you won't be warned or banned without explanation. If you do happen to get a warning you are able to pm the moderators or the administrator for clarification as to why you received your warning. A good thing to do would be to check out the forum rules to insure that you don't accidently break one:
http://forum.psychlinks.ca/faq.php

Halo

So you say they seem fair and easy to follow but why do you say that they are strange? I guess I am just curious as to why you would say that?

I'm not usually used to forum rules being clear. Some forums I don't have to read the rules and others the rules are hard. Mods and Admins usually don't follow them and I get warned or banned when I don't understand them.

Halo

Oh okay that explains it more clearly then. I am glad that you think that they are fair and easy and really as long as you follow the rules and remember the sensitivity and triggers of other members then there really shouldn't be much problems, especially since the mods and admin are always watching and we definitely follow the forum rules.

This is an interesting topic. Sort of hits close to home.

I met someone on a forum about 2 years ago. Well, "met" as in online, not in real life. We became friends, fairly good ones, as good as can be online. I would consider him to be one of my closest friends, despite the fact that we had never met. He had said the same to me at one point in time as well.

Anyways, we "talked" for about 2 years. Had our share of mostly ups, but some downs. Out of all my friends in real life and online, he's probably the only person I've ever really argued with and lost my temper with. You'd think with the tendency to be misinterpreted online, this would be a problem. We worked it out. All was fine. (I personally think it's because I express myself better through writing, rather than through speaking).

Because he had some real-life issues to deal with, from about summer last year to Christmas, he wasn't around as much. As concerned as I was, I had always told him that real life always takes precedence. I talked to him off and on.

The last time he was online, he was...different. He used a different screen name, which he did from time to time but I was always able to pick him out when he changed his name or he'd contact me. Anyways, badness ensued. I got accused of doing all sorts of things. Suffice it to say, I was bewildered. He wasn't making sense at all. Definitely a departure from the person I knew.
He said some things I thought to be rather cruel...things I had never heard him say to anyone (and I've been a listening post to his rants. Not necessarily directed towards me, but frustrations about work, life, other people, whatever. Not once had he been mean about people.)

So it's been over 6 months. I haven't spoken to him since then, as he made it clear that he never wanted to speak with me again. To this day, I'm still unsure of what he was thinking. He was the type of person that if something was wrong, he'd tell you to your face and mince no words. That I can handle. It was the riddles and dancing around the topic that bewildered me. I sometimes wonder if it was him that I talked to. He has not resurfaced on the forums where we met since then and has pretty much dropped off the face of the earth.

Either way, I still miss him. He hurt me terribly but at this point, I'm willing to forgive. Even if he never talks to me again, I just want to know if he's doing okay. Before our big blowout, he was saying things that really worried me. He was going through med changes. And his history made me really worried that he'd do something extreme.

I have moved on, but I still think of him. And hope that he's doing alright.

Krysa

I think im more friendly when it comes to the internet, because online, you really have time to think about what you want to say and how to say it. In real life...you just sometimes..blurt things out...

I believe that internet friends are very important for people who are extremely shy or socially anxious. In real-life, these people are overly concerned about how others are evaluating them, however, on the internet, there is a sense of anonymity. Therefore, shy individuals don't have to worry about the repurcussions of blurting out the wrong thing or appearing the wrong way when they are "faceless" on the internet.

Peanut

I think it really depends on the individual and their preferences. Some research has shown that online therapy groups are as effective as real life therapy groups. I would imagine that concept could be generalized to friendships as well. I think a lot would hinge on how you relate to other people and where your strengths were. I've met some people whom I felt communicated much better in writing than they came across in person. Alternately, many people are come across great in person....and maybe there are some lucky souls who come across great in writing and in person--who knows?

miromir

It depends. The real friends are ok. Sometimes the best friend is a author of a book or internet friend, because you don't know each other.

Replying is not possible. This forum is only available as an archive.