More threads by happymomx3

happymomx3

As a parent of 3, I strive to raise our children to be independent, responsible, self motivating, goal seeking adults and overall good citizens.

Yet all around us I see parents who struggle with setting standards for their kids.

I see children insulting, demanding and disrespecting their parents.
I see parents who make excuses for their children's outrages behaviours.
I see parents who may as well bubble wrap their kids to avoid failure and disappointment.

Could the increase in anxiety, stress and panic disorders in our kids be a result of generation of non-resilient kids?

A generation of kids that live with high expectation and a sense of entitlement. There are actually parents who deserve to receive their children's grade at school for completing all their children's homework, running to their kids rescue every time that their kids are in the slightest amount of conflict. Getting speeding tickets to rush their kids to school or hockey because the child couldn't get their act together to leave on time.

I would love to see our next generation regain the strength to overcome failure, be problem solvers and leaders of our future, but I fear we are failing them with our over-parenting methods. How do we get the word out to parents to enable and empower our kids?

A well said quote by Dick O'Brian says "too often parents and caregivers buffer their children from the reasonable and natural consequences of their own actions.

Parents that overprotect or rescue their children rob them of the opportunity to develop a track record of success in dealing with the pitfalls of life. This often leaves a child without the self-worth and problem solving skills necessary to function in society."

I also believe this is one of the leading causes of a generation of people, unwilling and unable to cope.

If you have any resources that would engage parents on this concept, I would love to receive it.

Last edited by a moderator:

happymomx3

Thanks so much for these resources. I have set up a parent resource library at our school covering many area's of mental health umbrella, would I be allowed to print these resources you have listed above to add to the library?

David Baxter PhD

Late Founder
As far as I know, making one copy of a printed article or article posted on the internet for teaching purposes is okay.

That said, I'm not a lawyer. If you or the school have any concerns, you might check the copyright laws in your area.

Replying is not possible. This forum is only available as an archive.