More threads by David Baxter PhD

David Baxter PhD

Late Founder
Rewiring Your Brain through Mindfulness
by Candida Fink, MD, Bipolar Beat
April 12, 2011

If brain chemistry can affect thoughts and behaviors, can thoughts and behaviors affect brain chemistry and perhaps even rewire the brain?

Yes.

An accumulating body of evidence supports the notion that non-medical interventions ? especially mindfulness ? can create changes in the body and brain that help reduce distress and improve brain function in a variety of ways.
Mindfulness. A mental state of heightened awareness, free of distraction, and more conducive to deliberate thought and action.
Some of the most interesting projects have explored the use of mindfulness practices to reduce stress and depression and improve attention. Several fascinating studies have explored the minds of ?experts? in meditation ? a form of mindfulness ? and clearly show they have strong neuro-circuitry in areas of emotional regulation and feelings of compassion.

A recent study in the journal Neuroimage entitled Impact of Mindfulness-Based Stress Reduction Training on Intrinsic Brain Connectivity (Kilpatrick et al., 2011 Feb 17) involved a group of healthy women who were trained for eight weeks in mindfulness meditation skills compared to a group that did not participate in the training. Functional MRI studies at the end of the eight weeks showed ?increased functional connectivity? between various areas of the brain in the women who studied mindfulness. The training changed the brain in ways thought to relate to how the brain pays attention and how it processes sensory information.

Some studies have examined the effects of cognitive behavioral therapy (CBT) on obsessive compulsive disorder (OCD) that have similarly suggested brain changes that occur in response to therapy and are related to improving symptoms.

Our feelings and behaviors are the results of complex and constantly evolving interactions of our genetic patterns and the environment acting on those patterns. The environment includes all things that affect us ? physical and social/emotional stresses are all part of the story. What we need to keep in mind is that the environmental effects on our systems are just as ?biological? as any medication or surgical procedure, and they may affect the brain in positive ways as well as negative.

Nurture is nature; our biological makeup evolves as we interact with the world around us. So the work of helping ourselves feel better involves looking at all the possible ways of creating beneficial changes in the nervous system ? from medicine to food to exercise to light to various types of therapies and practices such as mindfulness and beyond.

markvp

You can meditate without closing your eyes, maybe that helps? Otherwise you should wonder if you sleep well enough. I think being well rested is necessary to meditate well. On the other hand, meditating at a rare moment that you feel rested, could help sleeping better, I'm not sure.

You can meditate without closing your eyes, maybe that helps? Otherwise you should wonder if you sleep well enough. I think being well rested is necessary to meditate well. On the other hand, meditating at a rare moment that you feel rested, could help sleeping better, I'm not sure.

Meditation has always sent me to sleep no matter my age.

May I sugest walking meditation? It's a mindfulness practice where you focus on the movement of your feet while you walk. I don't know much about it so I sugest you drop by at Dhamma Wheel | Index page | A Buddhist forum and ask for advice. There are a lot of knowledgeable members there who can advise you on this. I have been told that if you set mindfulness before you practice siting meditation you'll have less chances of getting sleepy.

I deeply appreciate the idea that humans are biopsychosocial systems with interactions between and among these three systems. "Mapping" out the direction and extent of the influential or causal arrows between and among these systems is daunting and vitally interesting. These studies make an important contribution to the naturalisation of the growing science of neuroscience and biopsychology (a part of neuroscience.

Other studies with Buddhist monks have shown that consistent meditation leads to increases of whte matter (well myelinated neurons in specific areas of the brain including the corpus callosum, which is critical in the integration of the two hemispheres.

I look forward to further studies that establish connections (no pun intended) between behavioral practices and particular brain areas. What are the boundary conditions, limitations, and most importantly the avenues we can use to improve our lives and functioning in the world.

Thanks for the post.

Replying is not possible. This forum is only available as an archive.