More threads by amastie

amastie

Hi,

I live in Melbourne in Australia. I joined this community when, in searching on Zen, I found a thread by David on 'Mindfulness eating' (posted I think in 2004). I am Spiritualist by belief. I'm also drawn to eastern philosophies, Zen in particular (though I cannot speak from much knowledge of it at this time). I practise a form of meditation *when* I can and it deeply impacts on my well-being and also on my ability to let go of the need to overeat - which is, physically, my biggest challenge. As a result, I am grossly overweight. It is not a smaller or a larger challenge than many people face in this life. It's just a more physically obvious one!

Now in my late 50's, while I continue to do all that I can to achieve peace and freedom from the need to overeat and other habits designed to sabotage myself, I can see that the general thrust of my life till this point has not been positive. I wish I could say that it was. The best - and not at all invaluable - thing I could say is that I am learning from my experience. For me, learning is the purpose of life and I rely on that belief to maintain my strength in the face of what is otherwise the appearance of increasing powerlessness, at times a feeling of hopelessness.

Sorry to sound so down. I'll write in other forums at other times in a more upbeat mood. :)

Looking forward to 'seeing' others around here,

amastie

ladylore

Account Closed
Welcome. :)

I enjoyed reading your post and can relate. I am also quite spiritual and do follow Buddhist practices quite a bit. It helps me to enjoy the mundane and stay present in the present.

One suggestion I have for you that I found in "The Artist's Way" are play dates. Once a week doing something just for me. It can be as simple as going for a cup of coffee and people watch to a museum or art gallery.

Finding and maintaining a level of peace is also a big part of my recovery from PTSD. Every day there are things I must do to keep myself emotionally healthy. Through these practices I find freedom.

IMHO anyway. Glad your here. :)

Halo

Hi Amastie and welcome to Psychlinks :welcome2:

I am glad that you decided to join us and I hope to see you around the forum :wave:

amastie

Re: Saying hello - and thnk you

Hi,

not enough time tonight to reply to posts elsewhere to respond to, but for now just wanted to thank all those who have so kindly welcomed me :friends:

Look forward to catching up at the various forums.

My best wishes to all,

amastie

Replying is not possible. This forum is only available as an archive.