More threads by Danny Boy

Garrett

Danny, good to meet you my friend. Seems as though we have something in common. I too stutter. Though it's not as bad as it was when I was a child I still struggle with certain words. I've learned to substitute words that are difficult for me. (I've built an excellent vocabulary that way).:)

I didn't start stuttering until I was around 6 years old. I was sexually abused as a little boy and my parents felt that might have been the cause of my starting to stutter. It was so bad I would throw my arms around trying to say words and would even knock myself up against things to get it to come out. I have been told that my face would look as if I were in pain trying to say what I wanted to say.

As I continued to grow the stuttering continued, as well as the sexual abuse. Though I don't remember the abuse before the age of 6, I do remember being abused thereafter. Several times this happened living in different cities while growing up. It finally ceased when I got into junior high school.

Even though the sexual abuse had stopped, my stuttering still lingered. It wasn't until I started high school that I learned to try and relax more and let the words just flow. My teachers, even though they new I had a speech impairment never cut me a break. They always made me read aloud in class, and I'm glad they did.

At 42, thoughts of my childhood still pervades my mind. As far as my stuttering? I've come to the realization that it's always going to be a part of me and have accepted it as so.

Garrett:)

Replying is not possible. This forum is only available as an archive.