More threads by NeedaName

NeedaName

How do you tell the difference between problems that can be worked through with self-help and problems that require professional help? Is it likely that I could identify issues alone reading resources by myself?

David Baxter PhD

Late Founder
You are too close to the subject (i.e., you) to be objective or to even identify what issues need to be worked on. See a therapist. Even therapists see other therapists when they need to work on their own issues.

Banned

Banned
I think self-help can be an adjunct to good therapy sometimes but I don't think it's always or even often the answer.

I can speak from my own experience here. I was in therapy for several years and then took about 20 months off and did the self-help thing. The problem was, as David says, I'm too close to me to see the bigger picture and it's impossible to be objective. Additionally, I'm not trained in psychotherapy so the amount of progress I could make on my own, even with the best resources, was extremely limited at best.

I went back to therapy last month and it's quickly become glaringly obvious that I have a lot more work to do. Work that the best books in the world can't help me with. I need a trained, responsible, caring therapist, whom I'm fortunate to have found.

NeedaName

I have an appointment for an oral surgeon for TMJ in 3 weeks. Benefits will cover some of it. My dentist suggested I work on learning coping mechanisms so that I stop clenching my jaw otherwise anything the OS does would probably be underdone. I seem to be only doing it while I'm awake because my teeth are looking good and my jaw is usually feels better in the morning. After I know how much that's going to set us back, I'll have to look into a therapist and at least then I'll have a better idea what we can budget for therapy.

In the meantime, it seemed sensible to start with self-help. If that worked, I had considered staying with it until it didn't work. Maybe not. I'm pretty guarded, it might be a pointless exercise.

NeedaName

It has acted up on and off for nearly 20 years. I woke up a few weeks ago and my jaw felt like it hanging out of alignment. It hurt. The stabbing pain has gone but my jaw and cheeks ache. I could ignore it, but I learned my lesson with the cough I didn't get treated.

Banned

Banned
I hear you. I've also had TMJ for 22 years and it can be quite painful. You can get an oral guard to wear at night to help with grinding and clenching. I'm sure you know but in case not did your doctor/dentist give you a list of foods to avoid? I found following this list helped immensely.

NeedaName

Yeah, he listed food. It's not the night time that's the problem for me. It's the day time. I clench my jaw, but my teeth don't touch. I've read a few options. I'll see the OS and we'll figure it out from there.

Replying is not possible. This forum is only available as an archive.