More threads by Floating

Floating

Hello,

It's me again, sorry for making so many posts, but this seems to be the only way I can express myself. :roll:

I want so much to "get over" my deppression, I know it's not that simple, I only wish it was! Are there any self help methods that anyone can recommend that I try?

I am starting to feel a bit better than I was feeling. I am making myself go outdoors even if I have no energy I find something comforting about being by the sea, so I wiil find a rock to sit on. If I have the energy I will go for a short walk or meet a friend for coffee. I am starting to talk to a few friends about what I think I am feeling, but I still get very upset talking about it and I know that one person in particular who is being very good with me, doesn't like seeing me upset, but I have said to him that if he wants to know something to ask me and if I have an answer I will tell him. I just want to be able to reassure him, I know it is good for me to talk about it.

just mary

Hi Floating,

Sorry to hear your feeling so low right now. But it sounds like you're making some good choices; getting some excercise, talking to people and finding a good friend. It takes time though.

I know there are some suggestions for self-help on this forum: http://forum.psychlinks.ca/index.php?board=66.0 . I know there are a couple of pages of stuff there but you might find something helpful. I had a friend who used the "The Depression Workbook: A Guide for Living With Depression and Manic Depression" (New Harbinger Workbooks) (Paperback) by Mary Ellen Copeland and she found it helpful.

Take care and hope to hear from you again, :)

Daniel E.

daniel@psychlinks.ca
Administrator
My ranking of self-help methods in order of personal importance:

Socialization
Exercise
Sunshine (being outdoors)
Hobbies & music therapy
Watching comedies (mostly DVDs from NetFlix)
omega-3s

Holly

Floating said:
Hello,

It's me again, sorry for making so many posts, but this seems to be the only way I can express myself. :roll:

I want so much to "get over" my deppression, I know it's not that simple, I only wish it was! Are there any self help methods that anyone can recommend that I try?

I am starting to feel a bit better than I was feeling. I am making myself go outdoors even if I have no energy I find something comforting about being by the sea, so I wiil find a rock to sit on. If I have the energy I will go for a short walk or meet a friend for coffee. I am starting to talk to a few friends about what I think I am feeling, but I still get very upset talking about it and I know that one person in particular who is being very good with me, doesn't like seeing me upset, but I have said to him that if he wants to know something to ask me and if I have an answer I will tell him. I just want to be able to reassure him, I know it is good for me to talk about it.

Hi Floating,
Welcome to the forum, you do not have to say sorry for posting, that is what the forum is here for, you can post here and I am hoping it is helping!
I like art, music, reading when I have a down day, for depression when I was depressed it was my medicine, remembering to take time out for me, do not be so hard on yourself, we sometimes are when depressed. You may want to ask Dr. Baxter he has some wonderful tips also, that would be helpful. If I think of anything else I will post it, take care Floating.

ThatLady

I think positive "self-talk" is important, Floating. It's not always easy to remember, but if you just try to say something good about/to yourself once or twice a day, it will help some. When something good happens, or you do something well, congratulate yourself. When you have a "good hair day", tell yourself how nice you look. It seems a bit silly, but once it becomes a habit, it helps to keep you from getting quite so down on yourself. :)

Floating

Thank you so much to all of you. You all have some very good points on how I can help myself feel a bit more positive. I know it will take time, but every little helps.

Thank you all x

Replying is not possible. This forum is only available as an archive.