More threads by sebzzz

sebzzz

Hi,

I'm in a 20 years old student in an advertising program and as a final project for this semester, we have to produce an actual advertising campaign (concepts, budget and medias).

Our objective is to talk to teens between 14 and 18 years who are regular smokers and who don't consider having a problem or being addicted while they really are. The advertising campaign is not directed towards helping them to stop smoking, but really on helping them notice they have a problem and that help exist and is good for them.

The problem is that people in this range of age are reluctant to most moral messages and they tend to not really care about their future or their health. It's more about being rebel, hanging with the coolest gang and so forth (social affirmation, independence... While in fact they are dependent to cigarette.)

Now, I'm asking if any of you people have some ideas about psychological triggers to play with in this case. A way to touch them so they realize their addiction and finally seek help. Provoke them? Being equal with them?

Being an advertising campaign, we will probably be producing TV spots and printed material mostly and we can also be very creative in our ways of advertising. There is a way to have a direct contact to people in charge of this kind of help in schools so they can distribute our material.

Just like that, I thought about having an actual or fictional role model. I know that teens tend to identify to people they admire and if those people have good habits, it could be a good idea. As for a fictional role model, I thought about Superman and showing him in a situation where even him needs help to show that seeking help is not only for the uncool ones and is normal. However, this is just from the top of my hat and I have no psychological theories behind those ideas.

Thanks in advance for any help!

David Baxter PhD

Late Founder
Re: Show teens their addiction to cigarette & incite them to see help.

I think ads targeting health issues are not going to be at all effective with teens - they tend to see health issues as too far in the future to be a current concern.

You're more likely to have success targeting things like the bad odor, yellow teeth, things generally having to do with having a negative effect on appearance and therefore attractiveness for the opposite sex. Also, ads featuring other teens rather than adults talking about how uncool and offensive it all is would also be more effective with this age group, I would think.

Replying is not possible. This forum is only available as an archive.