More threads by stargazer

stargazer

It's official. I am sleeping much more than usual. I'm not sure how much of it has to do with the depakote, which I've been taking for about a month now, and how much has to do with my starting jogging again in the mornings, about a week ago. But last night I slept ten hours solid, took an hour nap this afternoon, took a long nap yesterday, and slept about nine hours the night before. I can't say as I mind, except for if I sleep in too late, because I might have to get an alarm clock, and no longer rely on the natural clock, which used to always get me up somewhere between 4:30am and 5:30am. This morning I slept in till 7:30am and had to rush to get to church on time.

Halo

SG

I know for me that I have never had that natural clock inside me that tells me when it is time to get up. I have always had to have an alarm clock and still do. Maybe you are finally getting the rest that your body needs and deserves and has been deprived of for so long and if you think that you are going to miss important appointments or engagements than you might consider investing in an alarm clock. They can be pretty cheap if you look around for a basic one.

I am personally glad that you are sleeping well and getting the rest needed.

Take care
:hug:

stargazer

Last night I went to sleep at around 9:30 again and got up at 7am. So this is the third night in a row I've gotten well over 8 hours of sleep, when I usually only sleep five or six hours. I think you're right that I'm probably just finally getting the rest my body needs, although I'm a little concerned that this might inaugurate a trend toward more and more sleep.

Halo

SG

If you are concerned about this than try and keep track of your sleep pattern and if it continues and seems to be escalating and becomes more worrisome to you than you will documented evidence that it is increasing and then you can go to your doctor and discuss it with him/her. I honestly think that your body is just recouperating and needing the rest but you may have to monitor it so it doesn't go the opposite extreme where you start to sleep more and more like all day.

Just a thought?

stargazer

That makes sense, Nancy. I'll do that. Also, to address your earlier concern, it hasn't yet kept me from making a morning appointment (work or church or counseling) but it *has* conferred a good deal of stress upon me as I've struggled to get there on time. It's also disrupted my morning ritual--the reading, writing, and running. Ironically, I think part of it might be due to starting running again, and thereby tiring out my system. So it might be good if I cut back on the running temporarily. (This morning, that's no problem, since I got up too late to go running anyway.)

Halo

I think that once you do get into a morning routine that works for you whether it be reading, writing, running, sleeping, you will work out what time you need to get up and your internal body clock will start getting you up in time to do all that you need to in order to set you up for the day. I think that it will just take some adjusting time.

stargazer

Hopefully, yes--although you might be right about the alarm clock. I glossed over the subject only because I'm a change-resistant and proud person. I've used them in the past, though not for long, as I dislike that feeling of being "jolted" out of my sleep. But if I find that, on this medication, and while running again, I can no longer awaken from my internal clock alone, then yes, I'll have to surrender and go get an alarm clock, like almost everyone else. (That's what I meant about my pride.) Not sure if I'm making sense. It would just be an adjustment, that's all.

David Baxter PhD

Late Founder
I've used them in the past, though not for long, as I dislike that feeling of being "jolted" out of my sleep.
You might try putting it on "radio" but not "alarm" - that helps to avoid that "catapulted out of bed" feeling but for many people is just as effective in waking them up - just a little more gently and gradually.

stargazer

Well, this morning was more like it. I went to bed at 8:30pm (because I was tired--I seem to be getting tired earlier and earlier at night) but was able to pop out of bed shortly before 4:30am. So I still got a decent night's sleep, just about eight hours. Deep sleep, too. And now I can do my morning run before I go to therapy and down into town to wait in line to get the meds, and that will help me to feel better.

I think part of what's going on is that, at this time of year in California, it's no longer as light as early. So when I awaken, it looks dark, and I confuse it for night-time, when it's actually the early morning hour. Even now, it's shortly after 5:30am, and the sky's pretty much pitch-black. What I'm saying is, the past few nights I've still awakened, but I've turned over to get more sleep.

But I think it more has to do with the meds and the running. I never used to turn over to get more sleep, even if it were dark. I remember even when I was riding my bike 15 miles a day, when I had that job, I was doing a little better. When I stopped getting the regular exercise was about when I started to freak out.

Anyway, going to wait about twenty minutes and hit the road--I'd run now but I don't have a white T-shirt, and I might get pulled over by a cop if I run in dark clothing when it's still dark.

i'm noticing the change in light as well. we're heading into the fall and i know it's going to affect my mood. at least you are aware of it, i am sure that will help. keep up the exercise :)

stargazer

An acquaintance of mine, a lawyer, said he suffered from seasonal affective disorder, and that he became more depressed during Winter. I'm somewhat the opposite, as I tend to become more anxious and sort of freaked out in the hotter temperatures of the Valley, and somewhat relieved when Winter approaches. I think Fall is the most beautiful season, when the leaves are turning colours.

sg i dont know what fall is like in california but the leaves are so beautiful here in canada. i like fall too. it's winter that i'm not friends with :)

stargazer

Fall's the greatest. Winter here is usually not bad, if you're a person who takes to the colder weatther and is prepared to bundle up. I might be blowing a foghorn here though--it's probably a lot colder in Canada!

Last Winter, however, it rained incessantly, somewhat stranding me, since my mode of transportation then was bicycle. Not sure why I didn't invest in a bus pass *then* but I think it was all about my deep-seated objection to having had to come back here, after I had been teaching & music-directing in the Bay Area.

This time, it's different coming back, and I'm a little more accepting of my present limitations. But anyway, yes, Fall is better than Winter, here too.

stargazer

I wish fall lasted a little longer than half an hour in Canada. :eek:mg:

It switches immediately from Summer to Winter in Canada? Last year in the Central Valley, it rained so much, and on into "Spring," that when all of a sudden the rain stopped, we were in the midst of the first Summer heat wave. It felt as though it had switched straight from Winter to Summer, and we were all deprived of Spring.

But that's not normally the case. I think 1995 (or 1996) was the most recent previous year we'd gotten such heavy rains. I was in the SF Bay Area then, but my friends in the Valley reported the same thing. Usually, we get a nice, pleasant Springtime, when everything comes to bloom.

It switches immediately from Summer to Winter in Canada?
pretty much. :mad: usually around mid september it turns pretty chilly quite suddenly where i am located. you know summer is over at that point. fall lasts about 4-6 weeks and then the cold really hits. not to disappear until the end of may. (oh the joys of snow and slush everywhere). then when summer comes it really comes, it's suddenly hot.

i am thinking of getting into winter sports so that at least winter isn't so isolating and depressing. but still.. i just don't like the cold. maybe i should move to california :D

Halo

BBC I tried getting into the winter sports thing and while I do go out two nights a week to play I find myself dreading it not because of the sports or the people but because of the blowing snow, freezing rain and just basically having to drag my butt out in the cold :D when I would love nothing more than to just curl up in a blanket. But it does get you out of the house that is for sure and makes you appreciate the warmth when you get home :)

stargazer

Now it's starting to make sense, this feeling I've had that you guys communicate a lot via Internet...it must be difficult to get from place to place through all the blowing snow, freezing rain, slush everywhere, etc.

It was similar when I worked in the Santa Cruz Mountains, not because it was cold or the weather was inclement, but just that everyone was so far separated from each other & it was so mountainous, and cell phone reception was tentative. People would run out of running water and have to stock up, unlike in most other areas of California where I've been.

It does go below freezing in a California Winter, however, unlike the myth. I'm wondering how cold it gets in Canada? If you speak in Centigrade, though, I'll need a conversion chart to understand you.

(By the way, went to bed at around 9pm and got up shortly after 5am. I think I've figured that the thing to do is keep my cell phone by the bed and keep checking the time at moments of waking, then get up at one of those times, so as not to confuse the darkness with night.)

Replying is not possible. This forum is only available as an archive.