More threads by J PTSD

J PTSD

What kind of questions does SS ask your psychologist and other doctors?
:confused:

that was supposed to be SSDI

Daniel E.

daniel@psychlinks.ca
Administrator
Re: SSID in USA??

Other than asking for medical records, I don't think they ask anything directly.

However, it is crucial to have your psychiatrist, at least, fill out forms that specifically spell out why you are not able to work:

Daniel said:
Basically, SSI claimants don't have the benefit of the doubt. You have to prove that you are unable to work. It's easy to show you don't feel like working, but it's difficult and necessary to prove you simply can't work even part-time. The most important thing is getting your doctor involved and preferably an attorney as well. I strongly recommend you get your doctor to fill out a mental health form that details the cognitive, social, and other factors of why you are unable to work. This type of form is referred to as the Mental RFC Assessment Form. You can see and print this form here.

http://forum.psychlinks.ca/health-c...i/2556-social-security-and-ocd.html#post12943

Social Security does not require that form, but any Social Security lawyer will make sure they are submitted.

BTW:

IMHO, anyone applying for SSDI should get a Social Security lawyer since it's hard enough to get an approval even with a lawyer. You only pay if you win and the amount is pre-set by the government. Expect the process to take at least 1 year since the initial decision after 4 months or so is usually to deny the claim.

OTOH, for many people, the biggest problem with applying is that it is a self-fulfilling prophecy. Whatever motivation they have to work is limited by their desire to get approval, which basically requires not working. So even if they are eventually approved, they may still lose in the long-term both mentally and financially.

J PTSD

My therapist, told me they questions they ask are like:

Can they answer the phone? can they brush their teeth? Do the go to church? Do they go to friends houses to visit? Can they drive a car? Can the shower daily?Do they pay their bills?

It just sounds fishy to me. Do I have an honest therapist??

Daniel E.

daniel@psychlinks.ca
Administrator

Those are the questions they certainly would ask you. Those questions relate largely to one's ability to function. I have never heard of them calling up a therapist, a psychologist, or even a medical doctor. I don't think they have the time, anyway, to call someone's therapist since there are so many claims now.

Each state has something called the office of disability determinations (or something like that). For a SSDI claim related to a mental disorder, they usually appropriate a psychologist who asks you questions. (It may be possible to have your psychologist do the questioning -- I don't know.) But even if a state-appointed psychologist agrees with you that you are not able to work, your claim can still be denied because they are looking for specific things in the documentation. That's why a lawyer can help.

greenstarz

DOn;t be discouranged though, I was approved thhe first time i applied, in 3 months, and have talked to a lot of other people who were too. I don't remember the process too clearly though because a social worker did most of the application for me. I wa s in a pretty bad state at tje time though. I hope it goes well for you.

Daniel E.

daniel@psychlinks.ca
Administrator

Yeah, most people who stick with it eventually get approved. The unknown variable is when.

And you do get backpay for all the time between the date you applied and when you finally get approved. So from that perspective, one should apply ASAP even just as a backup plan.

greenstarz

actually i think you get backjpay from when you can prove you were first diagnosed to when you finally get approved. thats what happened with me

You receive back pay from the date that you applied, not the day that you were first diagnosed with a disability. For those struggling to attain SSDI, I would recommend hiring a specialized SSDI attorney in you area. After being denied twice over the course of 18 months, I went to Social Security Disability | Disability Claim | Disability Help and was connected with an attorney that ensured my paperwork was filled out properly and I had all the correct medical documentation to back up my claim. I was approved just 3 months later.

Replying is not possible. This forum is only available as an archive.