More threads by Thehurtstopshere

I was on SSDI for a few years then one day decided I was not disabled, cancelled all my services and spent the next year in a tail spin. I absolutely need to be back on disability but does anyone know how I proceed? THANK YOU

Daniel E.

daniel@psychlinks.ca
Administrator
if I have to reapply the same way
That would be my guess, in which case it helps to apply ASAP. I would also guess that you would be eligible for up to 12 months of backpay. (Also, as you probably know, it's important to be seeing a psychiatrist -- not just for your own mental health but to help with providing documentation for your claim. If you can afford it, seeing a psychologist or therapist may also help to show you are continuing to do everything possible in regards to treatment.)

Yes, therein lies the problem. when I decided I wasnt disabled, I stopped therapy entirely. I am unable now to use my College degree but yet I am so in debt due to the student loans that I cant even try a part time position because then they take my paycheck. Also the doc did me a great dis service by refusing sign my loan papers that I was disabled because she said it equired her to state permanent disability to relieve me of the debts and by signing it she would be giving up hope that I ever get better..froma traumatic brain injury..lol.....Being the child of a very dysfunctional family I cut ties with I have no family support but I have a great and greatly overburdened husband. you are very sweet to help, TYVM

Daniel E.

daniel@psychlinks.ca
Administrator
So you are referring to a private student loan? Regarding wage garnishments: NEDAP -- Defending Creditor Lawsuits

If you have a government/federal loan: For struggling graduates, help with student loans

Also, did you ever have Medicare as an insurance (not just Medicaid)? If so, I think you can keep that for up to 8 years after SSDI stops, but I don't know the details. In any case, a huge motivation I had to apply for SSDI was to get Medicaid/Medicare so that I would have insurance if I was in an accident, etc.

---------- Post added at 05:17 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:42 PM ----------

On the very positive side, I just found this:

Expedited Reinstatement (EXR) (SSDI and SSI eligible)

If you have stopped receiving benefits due to your work, we may be able to restart them again without a new application. The EXR provision allows you to receive up to 6 months of temporary cash benefits while SSA conducts a medical review to determine whether we can reinstate your benefits. You may also be eligible for Medicare and/or Medicaid during the provisional benefit period.

You are eligible to request EXR if you meet all the following requirements:
  • Your previous entitlement to SSDI benefits terminated due to performance of SGA; or your previous SSI disability/blindness eligibility terminated because of excess earned income or a combination of earned and unearned income;
  • You are not be performing SGA in the month you apply for EXR;
  • You are unable to work at the SGA level due to your medical condition;
  • You have a current medical impairment(s) that is the same as, or related to, your original disabling impairment(s); and
  • You request EXR within 5 years from the month your benefits stopped.
Social Security Online - The Red Book - SSDI And SSI Employments Supports
So I would definitely call Social Security and ask about expedited review (EXR) :) If you are eligible, you could obviously use the provisional Medicaid/Medicare to pay for mental health services to get the paper trail started.

---------- Post added at 08:14 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:17 PM ----------

and, of course, the medical records from your current hospitalization would help any medical review, possibly more than anything else.

thanks, I do have Federal loans- I consolidated the interest free and others into one loan. I am not sure about any back pay and in the hospital (home now) for non- related issues. I guess making an appointment to go in is first and i plan on looking further into the above article regarding loans. Someone told me that if I am in default then they can take the $$ from my husbands check? also, if i file my taxes they will keep the refund. thanks :confused:

Now that I think of it-when i told them I was no longer disabled (what a tirade :facepalm:), I was still not even permitted to have my check in my own name and thats what made me mad- having no family I felt so stupid having my husband (then fiance) as my payee. Now i see I needed a payee and the benefits of SSDI. It was at a time when i just wanted to break ties with all of the psych stuff. Now, what a mess i got myself into.
It would be great if that expedited thing works and applies. Thanks so much for your help, that is great news!:lol:

Last edited:

Daniel E.

daniel@psychlinks.ca
Administrator
f
Someone told me that if I am in default then they can take the $$ from my husbands check?

Not from what I have read.

if i file my taxes they will keep the refund

Apparently, though it can be challenged: What Happens If You Default on Your Student Loans | Nolo.com

---------- Post added at 03:16 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:07 PM ----------

BTW, many people on SSDI do not have to worry about garnishments:

The government can take some federal benefit payments (including Social Security retirement benefits and Social Security disability benefits, but not Supplemental Security Income) as reimbursement for student loans.The government cannot take any amount that would leave you with benefits less than $9,000 per year or $750 per month. And, it cannot take more than 15% of your total benefit.

What Happens If You Default on Your Student Loans | Nolo.com

---------- Post added at 03:26 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:16 PM ----------

Also the doc did me a great dis service by refusing sign my loan papers that I was disabled because she said it equired her to state permanent disability to relieve me of the debts and by signing it she would be giving up hope that I ever get better

As of July 2010, to get the loan discharged, it doesn't have to be permanent per se but expected to last 5 years (60 months):

Disability and Death | Student Loan Borrower Assistance

---------- Post added at 03:47 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:26 PM ----------

More info:

Get Answers | Student Loan Borrower Assistance

Self-Help Packets | Student Loan Borrower Assistance

I want you to know how helpful you have been. I read the links you sent then contacted a worker who saw me TODAY and reinstated my benefits..effective March 1st. I dont know about backpay yet. I am able to get a dr sign to 5 years disability so that starts the process to discharge my loans...I can't say how much you helped me i was so confused and my disability really prevents me from thinking it through properly when i let it. Mine and my hubbys quality of life improved because you helped...now he can go back to work without worry that i lose my insurance and much much more...thank you thank you thank you

Replying is not possible. This forum is only available as an archive.