More threads by AmZ

AmZ

Since the age of 14 I have used weed and alcohol in order to escape reality, especially at difficult times where events happened and I felt like I needed to escape or dull the pain that was involved in the situation. At other times, I simply wasn't so happy so got drunk or stoned so that I could 'feel good', even if it was just for a few/several hours.

I haven't smoked weed for probably 2 years now and in the last 4 months have gotten drunk three times, and badly, and all came from a place of having an urge and feeling a need to do so, and doing it. Before a year ago now, drinking was more of a social thing and I never drank alone, but in the last year, I drink once a week or so, and only by myself in my apartment. Again, it comes from a place of it being an urge and the feeling to need to escape and for various reasons.

Even though I've drank a lot less in the last 4 months since the anxiety and depression came about full force (literally 3 times), I am having such crazy urges to do it again or to ask someone I work with to get me some weed.

It feels so ingrained in me to do this, even to do so once a fortnight which doesn't sound like much, but I know it's substance abuse.

It makes me worry for the future, because I often lose control and give in to the urges.

Right now, I am sitting here at work and am shaking inside I am having such strong urges to do something...

The alcohol is less of a desire, because the 3 times I drank in the last 4 months ended up very messy and horrible the next day, especially once when I drank whilst on the anti-depressants. I could just totally get stoned out of my face though to be honest... That's all I want to do.

I don't know how I can deal with it right now and what I can do to stop these feelings. There is only so much I can avoid being at home and distract myself. I will get back from work tonight at 9pm or so and will need to control myself incredibly whilst I walk past the shops on my way home.

---------- Post added at 09:56 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:30 PM ----------

Well, got through it again without doing anything stupid.

The answer seemed to be to stay at work late writing some angry things down... then come home on the bus and for 40 minutes drive myself absolutely insane with constant visions is my head of me hurting myself by doing different things, keep building myself up and up until I gotta blow... and then break down crying on the dark bus and let it all out.

That wasn't my plan or intentions but that solved that.

Feel pathetic and totally out of control, but what can I do. I'm trying.

Daniel E.

daniel@psychlinks.ca
Administrator
At other times, I simply wasn't so happy so got drunk or stoned so that I could 'feel good', even if it was just for a few/several hours.

What positive things do you have to look forward to now? Like trips or outings or some other novelty?

AmZ

What positive things do you have to look forward to now? Like trips or outings or some other novelty?

Nothing really.
I go back to studying next week once or twice a week which I find enjoyable but is for just a few hours every time and I don't feel overly fulfilled by just that.
This week, I am back to the gym twice a week and find it good to do, but again, is not something that I look forward to.

I'd like to travel around the country a bit if I could find the time.. But not by myself. Unfortunately I don't have even one friend that I can ask to come with me.
Life is pretty sucky to be honest. Even before this started, I was just feeling content and nothing more than that.

Other positive things to look forward to? Nothing.
My Dad and his wife are coming for a visit in a couple of months time and (if I may use this word again) unfortunately, I can't even look forward to that because all they're going to be talking about is what is going on with me and if I am happier and how life is going.
Basically, there is nothing even positive to talk about with them. In the past, there were glimmers of hope here and there, the same with when my mother re-appeared and got in touch with me, but the excitement only lasts so long until either she'd disappear or once the hope of some exciting possibility of a friendship or something positive wouldn't work out in the end.

I'm sorry to sound so bleak and negative.

AmZ

Thanks Daniel.

I'm managing to resist from doing something I regret.
It's really something that I need to be aware of because I could very easily get in to something and I know I wouldn't be able to control it.
I'd love to get some weed from someone at work, it's a big urge still. I know however before I've even done this 'once off' thing or 'something I won't do that often', that it will totally not end up like this and would end up with me working 3 times a week and sitting in my apartment for a majority for the rest of the week smoking.
As teenagers, all of my friends smoked and drank, and to some degree, even though it was a social thing, a lot of my friends were using substances as a way of escaping, and more so than your 'regular person' that drinks at the end of the week after a stressful week in the office or whatnot.

It's a risky thing with me. I wasn't so in control and didn't care about limits when I was a teenager, and I still feel this carelessness. I remember sitting by myself a few times and inhaling hairspray from a carrier bag and at the time, I knew it was something so incredibly dangerous and my breathing was shallow, but I kept doing it for a bit longer until it got really bad and I was out of it. The same with sniffing poppers and getting a headrush with me and my friends. That was nasty. Gives you an instant migraine. But again, just keep doing it again and again. Same with weed. Bong after bong, until I was feeling like I was about to pass out. Those are the only substances I ever used and I'm glad I resisted doing anything else that my friends were doing like ecstasy etc.

I hope that I'll manage to be in control of this for the rest of my life, I really do.

---------- Post added at 06:05 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:14 PM ----------

Close to giving up. Too alone and nobody gives a damn about me and I don't give a damn about myself.

Replying is not possible. This forum is only available as an archive.