More threads by David Baxter PhD

Are you planning to get the H1N1 vaccine?

• Yes, but our clinics are not open to the public yet

Votes: 1 6.7%
  • I already got it

Votes: 3 20.0%
  • No way, not getting it. I think the vaccine is unsafe

Votes: 3 20.0%
  • I think it is not as serious as everyone says.

Votes: 6 40.0%
  • I have not decided yet.

Votes: 2 13.3%

• Total voters

NicNak

Resident Canuck
Administrator
The Oprah Winfrey Show is ending in 2011, so for those of us who won't survive this flu season, at least we can rest in peace knowing that we were able to watch most of her shows. :teehee:

:smack: Get your vaccine Daniel.

I tend to think you have more to offer than Oprah :friends: I want you to around longer than 2011.

David Baxter PhD

Late Founder
1976 swine flu outbreak - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The 1976 swine flu outbreak, also known as the swine flu fiasco, or the swine flu debacle, was a strain of H1N1 influenza virus that appeared in 1976. Infections were only detected from January 19 to February 9, and were not found outside Fort Dix.[1] The outbreak is most remembered for the mass immunization that it prompted in the United States. The strain itself killed one person and hospitalized 13[citation needed]. However, side-effects from the vaccine caused five hundred cases of Guillain–Barr? syndrome and 25 deaths.
Other influenza vaccines have not been linked to Guillain-Barr? syndrome

2009 flu pandemic - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Annual influenza epidemics are estimated to affect 5–15% of the global population. Although most cases are mild, these epidemics still cause severe illness in 3–5 million people and 250,000–500,000 deaths worldwide.[13] On average 41,400 people die each year in the United States based on data collected between 1979 and 2001.[14] In industrialized countries, severe illness and deaths occur mainly in the high-risk populations of infants, the elderly, and chronically ill patients,[13] although the swine flu outbreak (as well as the 1918 Spanish flu) differs in its tendency to affect younger, healthier people.

20th century flu pandemics
]Pandemic | Year | Influenza virus type | People infected (approx) | Deaths worldwide (est.) | Case fatality rate
Spanish flu | 1918–19 | A/H1N1 | 33% (500 million) | 20 to 100 million | >2.5%
Asian flu | 1956–58 | A/H2N2 | ? | 2 million | <0.1%
Hong Kong flu | 1968–69 | A/H3N2 | ? | 1 million | <0.1%
Seasonal flu | Every year | A/H3N2, A/H1N1, B | 5–15% (340 million – 1 billion) | 250,000–500,000 per year | <0.1%
Swine flu | 2009 Pandemic | H1N1/09 | >503,536 | 7,296 (confirmed; ECDC); ≥6,250 (WHO) | ?

David Baxter PhD

Late Founder
:smack: Get your vaccine Daniel.

I tend to think you have more to offer than Oprah :friends: I want you to around longer than 2011.

If you believe all the anti-vaccine conspiracy theorists, you're probably also assuming that none of us will be around after 2012. That's probably why Oprah is retiring, given that she showcases Jenny MacCarthy and Suzanne Somers. :rolleyes:

NicNak

Resident Canuck
Administrator
People do not realize this is the same strain as the Spanish Plague of 1918. I have been on a soap box with my friends trying to explain this too.

1918 flu pandemic - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The statistics are very scary.

The reason I personally got it, is I have two close realitives with severe heart conditions. My hope is that I would not spread it to them.

I figured, if I couldn't figure a way to get the vaccine for my own good, I should do it for the protection of others.

So I take a shot in the arm and have a bit of an ache. If there is even a slight chance that myself being vaccinated helps save people from dying from this then I should.

NicNak

Resident Canuck
Administrator
If you believe all the anti-vaccine conspiracy theorists, you're probably also assuming that none of us will be around after 2012. That's probably why Oprah is retiring, given that she showcases Jenny MacCarthy and Suzanne Somers. :rolleyes:

Maybe Daniel can take over Oprah's show after she leaves.

Simply named: Daniel.

He can feature you Dr Baxter instead of Dr Phil.

Daniel could turn the entire talk show world around :)

Help save everyone from the conspiracy theories :teehee:

NicNak

Resident Canuck
Administrator
To be fair, people also were not as healthy back in 1918.
Just saying.

That's true STP, but another thing to consider is also we move around much more and our population is a lot higher.

Many virus' do mutate over time and get stronger. Such as Chicken Pox, TB etc.

The H1N1 actually seems to be attacking healthy people more and causing what is caused Cytokine Storm. So folks with healthy, strong immune systems seem to be the most vunerable. So being more healthy seems to be more of a detriment.

Andy

MVP
Hasn't medicine improved immensely since 1970 though. Therefore healthier people? Most of the people that have died in AB have been people who had other conditions.

I don't really agree or disagree. Just saying what popped into my pea brain. ;)

David Baxter PhD

Late Founder
You missed the point, in any case. It doesn't matter whether it's 2 days or 20 days: By the time you know you have it, you've already spread it.

By the way, your dogs can get colds and flu from you too, you know.

Daniel E.

daniel@psychlinks.ca
Administrator
Wow, the drama continues, but the drama seems rather undramatic, especially for dogs:

Recent media reports of the 2009 H1N1 influenza (swine flu) virus cases in companion animals have many people concerned for the health of their pets. Here's what The HSUS has confimed about such cases, and what you can do to protect your pets from getting sick.

Ferrets and cats affected

At the end of October, a USDA laboratory confirmed a Nebraska ferret died of H1N1 infection. Around the same time, three ferrets living in one Oregon household were also diagnosed with H1N1 infections.

Earlier this month, both the Iowa State Veterinarian and the Department of Public Health confirmed H1N1 flu in a domestic cat. This Iowa feline and the Oregon ferrets are reportedly recovering from their illnesses.

Causes and symptoms

It appears that all pets so far stricken with H1N1 flu were infected by human household members who had recently been ill with the virus. Animals who have contracted H1N1 influenza have shown the typical signs of respiratory illness such as lethargy, decreased appetite, fever, runny nose and eyes, sneezing, coughing and changes in breathing patterns including difficult or labored breathing.

Dogs not affected yet
To date there are no reports of companion animals infecting humans with H1N1. There have also been no reports of canine H1N1 cases.
The canine influenza virus, H3N8, can be transmitted from dog to dog, and a canine H3N8 influenza vaccine is available. However, the H3N8 vaccine will not prevent H1N1 infection.

Skip the vaccines (for pets)

Neither the H1N1 vaccine, nor any other human influenza vaccine, is appropriate for non-human species and it should not be given to pets for any reason. The same caution holds true for human anti-viral formulations; they are generally not appropriate companion animal medications.

What you can do

Our animal companions live in very close proximity to us. The best way to keep pets safe from contracting influenza is to routinely use common sense preventive health measures within your household. These include practicing good hygiene by washing your hands often and certainly before and after contact with sick individuals and with your pets. Minimize your own and your pets’ exposures to flu sufferers and if you yourself are ill, limit contact with your pets to all but absolutely necessary interactions.

During this flu season, strive to keep your pets in overall good health with regular preventive health care and consult your veterinarian promptly if your pets show any signs of illness.

http://www.humanesociety.org/news/news/2009/11/pets_swine_flu_111709.html

David Baxter PhD

Late Founder
Correct me if I'm wrong but all that says is that there are no confirmed cases of dogs getting H1N1, only cats and ferrets.

But it does not say that dogs can't contract H1N1. And given that

1. pets don't complain as much as humans when they're sick,
  2. pets are not generally covered by health insurance, so
  3. pets are less likely in the average household to be taken to the vet than human family members are to be taken to doctors
I would guess that statistics on H1N1 with respect to any and all pet species are probably quite understated.

Banned

Banned
You missed the point, in any case. It doesn't matter whether it's 2 days or 20 days: By the time you know you have it, you've already spread it.

Ya I know dogs and cats can get it. Kind of interesting when you think about it. Last year we had a major dog flu go through the daycare - half the dogs were out with it. We've been ok so far this year.

Banned

Banned
Correct me if I'm wrong but all that says is that there are no confirmed cases of dogs getting H1N1, only cats and ferrets.

But it does not say that dogs can't contract H1N1. And given that

1. pets don't complain as much as humans when they're sick,
  2. pets are not generally covered by health insurance, so
  3. pets are less likely in the average household to be taken to the vet than human family members are to be taken to doctors
I would guess that statistics on H1N1 with respect to any and all pet species are probably quite understated.

I agree with you on all those points, except that my dogs do have health insurance. After Jessie's $13,000 vet bill that I'm still paying for I got insurance on Brody and Jonah.

David Baxter PhD

Late Founder
I agree with you on all those points, except that my dogs do have health insurance. After Jessie's $13,000 vet bill that I'm still paying for I got insurance on Brody and Jonah.

You're not the average pet owner, though. You're not even the average family member. Unlike the average person, you'd be more likely to take one of your dogs to the vet than you would be to take yourself or your mother to the doctor. :huh:

David Baxter PhD

Late Founder
H1N1 Vaccine as Safe as Seasonal Vaccine, WHO Says

H1N1 Vaccine as Safe as Seasonal Vaccine, WHO Says
by Emma Hitt, PhD, Medscape Medical News
November 19, 2009

The H1N1 2009 pandemic influenza vaccine appears to be as safe as the seasonal flu vaccine, according to the World Health Organization (WHO).

About 1 adverse event is being reported for every 10,000 doses, said Dr. Marie-Paule Kieny, director of the WHO's Initiative for Vaccine Research, at a virtual press briefing today. Of those adverse event reports, about 5 of 100 are considered serious.

According to Dr. Kieny, serious adverse events so far include 30 deaths and about 12 cases of Guillain-Barr? syndrome; however, she emphasized that none of the deaths reported to date has been confirmed as being caused by the vaccine. In addition, all cases of Guillain-Barr? syndrome have been transient, and only a few have been linked to the vaccine.

Dr. Kieny added that there appears to be no difference between the safety profile of the seasonal and pandemic influenza vaccines, and the number of adverse events is comparable between the 2 vaccines. In addition, the safety profiles of the different forms of pandemic vaccine are also similar.

Adverse reactions associated with the pandemic vaccine include a variety of local reactions including "pain at injection site, swelling, redness, and reactions such as fever, headache, muscle pain, or fatigue," Dr. Kieny said. "These generally resolve within 1 or 2 days."

"No new safety issues have been identified from reports received to date," she said.

At least 80 million doses of vaccines have been distributed and 65 million doses have been administered. "These are figures that we have received from 16 countries, but we think they are conservative estimates because immunization campaigns are under way now in 40 countries," Dr. Kieny added.

The WHO expects to start shipment of the vaccine to developing countries at the end of this month. According to Dr. Kieny, this represents a slight delay, but they expect that all vaccine doses will reach 95 eligible countries during the next 3 months.

Replying is not possible. This forum is only available as an archive.