More threads by David Baxter PhD

Are you planning to get the H1N1 vaccine?

• Yes, but our clinics are not open to the public yet

Votes: 1 6.7%
  • I already got it

Votes: 3 20.0%
  • No way, not getting it. I think the vaccine is unsafe

Votes: 3 20.0%
  • I think it is not as serious as everyone says.

Votes: 6 40.0%
  • I have not decided yet.

Votes: 2 13.3%

• Total voters

David Baxter PhD

Late Founder
H1N1 intensifying in Canada but subsiding elsewhere: WHO

H1N1 intensifying in Canada but subsiding elsewhere: WHO
CBC News
Friday, November 20, 2009

H1N1 appears to have peaked in parts of western Europe and the United States, but transmission continues to intensify in Canada, the World Health Organization said Friday.

"In Canada, influenza transmission continues to intensify without a clear peak in activity," the UN health agency said.

Doctors visits for flu have been most common among children age five to 19 in Canada. The number of visits continues to exceed average rates for the past 12 flu seasons.

At least 6,770 deaths have been recorded worldwide since the H1N1 influenza A virus that causes swine flu emerged in April, according to the WHO. The agency reported 520 such deaths in the past week.

Spread of the flu appears to have peaked in western European countries, including Belgium, Britain, Iceland and Ireland after an intense period.

Norway and countries farther east such as Georgia, Lithuania, Moldova and Serbia are showing sharp increases in flu-like illnesses.

Kazakhstan, Uzbekistan and parts of Afghanistan, particularly Kabul, reported higher numbers of flu cases.

Flu transmission remains active in East Asia, including in Japan, where flu activity remains elevated but stable.

Mutation in Norway reported
WHO also said Friday it is investigating samples of mutated H1N1 virus linked to two deaths and one severe case of H1N1 flu in Norway, but so far, the significance is unclear.

"Although further investigation is under way, no evidence currently suggests that these mutations are leading to an unusual increase in the number of H1N1 infections or a greater number of severe or fatal cases," WHO said.

Norway's Institute of Public Health announced Friday that "the mutation could possibly make the virus more prone to infect deeper in the airways and thus cause more severe disease."

The mutation was found in three of 70 cases of swine flu, said Geir Stene-Larsen, the institute's director.

No additional instances have been detected, which suggests the mutation is not widespread in Norway, the WHO said. The same mutation has been found in fatal and mild cases in Brazil, China, Japan, Mexico, Ukraine, and the United States.

More clinical and epidemiological data is needed, said WHO spokesman Thomas Abraham.

Antiviral drugs continue to work against the virus with the mutation, and studies show current pandemic vaccines offer protection against it, both the WHO and the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention said.

Separately, health officials said four people in North Carolina have tested positive for Tamiflu-resistant swine flu.

It is the first cluster of this size in the U.S. The four cases were reported at Duke University Medical Center in Durham, N.C., over the past six weeks.

NicNak

Resident Canuck
Administrator
The Mutations are scary and same with the Tamiflu resistant strains.

I use to cringe when one of my friends use to run to the doctor with a cold and say "look the doctor gave me the super strenght medication, cause I have a 'respiatory infection' this will knock it out of me in a few days, it's all good"

She would get this medication about twice a year.

The reason I cringed is because they brought out these anti virals and stronger antibiotics because of SARS back then and the resistant strains of TB that were going around.

Again this is why I personally avocate vaccines so that our bodys can fight them off. Then if needed ofcourse there are those "super medications" but I found my friend seemed to take it for granted that it was available and her doctor, in my layman opinion way over prescribed it.

NicNak

Resident Canuck
Administrator
I just wanted to come back to this thread to say, I got my H1N1 yesterday.

My arm was sore yesterday and is not so bad today. All I have today is a headache (which could be barometric pressure cause I get headaches with that too) and my throat seems to be dry, but aside from that, A-ok :)

David Baxter PhD

Late Founder
6th H1N1 death in Ottawa

6th H1N1 death in Ottawa
CBC News
Tuesday, November 24, 2009

A sixth person has died from swine flu-related illness in Ottawa since September.

Ottawa public health reported the death on its website on Monday. The health department did no release details about the age or sex of the victim or say whether the person had an underlying medical condition.

According to the health department's website, the H1N1 influenza A virus that causes swine flu has been found in 404 people in Ottawa since the beginning of September. Of those, 164 people were admitted to hospital.

unionmary

Mass inoculations scare me ever since I watched "I am Legend" Will Smith....and plus i believe it interferes with your natural body immunities?

Do I have a point there? I eat well and am healthy overall, can't I take care of it within my own self?

Banned

Banned
I think it really comes down to a personal choice and your comfort level and how much risk you present. We all have some level of risk, but if, for example, you are a kindergarten teacher your risk level of both catching and transmitting it is much higher than someone who is not in contact with children...if that makes sense.

I've done alot of thinking about it and have decided that at this point I will not be getting it. I was really back and forth on the weekend, but have decided against it. Partly because half my students had it, but were still coming to class or bringing their dogs to daycare. I think I've had alot of exposure to it and so far I've been ok so I'm going to hold off.

One thing I was wondering though, that maybe Dr. B can answer - if you get it once, are you considered immune or can you catch it again?

unionmary

I would guess you would be immune....apparently this virus has struck twice before too, so I am thinking I may have been previously exposed.

"good doctor dude" help us out?

David Baxter PhD

Late Founder
Mass inoculations scare me ever since I watched "I am Legend" Will Smith....

Mass deaths from the unvaccinated scare me a lot more. Remember polio? Smallpox?

and plus i believe it interferes with your natural body immunities?

No, it does not. The vaccination contains a dead virus. This mobilizes your body's immune system to create antibodies to kill or disable the virus, just as it would do if you actually caught the flu but less painlessly and more quickly.

Do I have a point there? I eat well and am healthy overall, can't I take care of it within my own self?

No. Only by catching it, assuming it doesn't kill you. And bear in mind that unlike most flu viruses this particular strain seems to kill the young and health, not the old and weak.

Turtle said:
I think it really comes down to a personal choice and your comfort level and how much risk you present.

I don't agree. It's not just about your own health. It's also about the health of those you may come into contact with during the incubation period if you get the virus. When it comes to a pandemic, I don't think it's a personal choice at all, unless you're a completely isolated hermit who doesn't mind dying alone. Smallpox was eradicated because the vaccinations were compulsory for anyone attending school or travelling.

David Baxter PhD

Late Founder
China protects pandas from possible H1N1 pandemic

China protects pandas from possible H1N1 pandemic
By John Platt, Scientific American
Dec 3, 2009

Cats can get the H1N1 virus. So can dogs, ferrets and (obviously) pigs. But what about endangered species like giant pandas (Ailuropoda melanoleuca)?

China isn't waiting around for an answer. Last week, the panda section of the Shaanxi Wild Animal Rescue and Research Center was closed to visitors and to most volunteers after a surge in human H1N1 cases in the area. Only the center's five full-time panda caregivers and two veterinarians are now allowed to enter the pandas' living quarters. "For safety considerations, they have to wear masks and gloves before entering the panda houses," deputy security chief Jin Xuelin told the Xinhua News Agency. Even these approved staffers are being tested for flu symptoms twice a day to further protect the animals.

Unlike China's other three panda centers, Shaanxi is also home to 21 pandas belonging to the recently recognized Qinling panda subspecies (A. melanoleuca qinlingensis). The pandas have "smaller skeletons, larger cheek teeth and traces of brown instead of the typical black and white [markings] for other pandas," according to Xinhua. There are only about 300 Qinling pandas in the world, compared with around 1,300 of the more common giant pandas.

Officials say Shaanxi could reopen to visitors in the spring, once flu season is over. Until then, watch out for ferrets.

Replying is not possible. This forum is only available as an archive.