More threads by rjrctrmom

rjrctrmom

:confused: I really need some advice...

Although I know the underlying reasons for why I require my teenage son to follow certain rules, when he asks me "Why? - Don't you trust me?" I have a hard time answering and, at his age (14), I want to give him more than a "just because" answer.

One I'd like to specifically ask about: I tell him that he can't go to someone's house if their parents aren't home. He wants to know why. He is very mature for his age - but, I know that he doesn't have the ability to reliably use the best judgement...I understand all of the reasons...peer pressure + unsupervised free time = opportunity for trouble. But, I keep getting stuck on the addage "you get what you expect"...if I tell him that I don't want him to be at someone's house when their parents aren't there because he might get into trouble - does that make him more likely to fit my expectations and think of himself as someone who gets into trouble? I want him to know that I trust him as much as he has proven he can be trusted - but, that there is much more that he can understand. This is when he says "tell me...I can understand...or do you just not know the reason?"

So - basically - how can I satisfy his need to understand by explaining to him why I have the rule without making him think that I have no faith in his desire and attempts to make good choices.

David Baxter PhD

Late Founder
Re: Teenage son wants to know "why" to rules and I don't know how to answer!

I can give you some suggestions from things I have said in the past to my sons in similar circumstances:

• Because I have a responsibility morally and legally to look after your wellbeing and I'm not convinced this is a wise or safe thing for you to be doing.

• I trust you for the most part but I don't necessarily trust everyone else in this world and at 17 you really don't yet have the experience to know who is truly trustworthy and who is not.

• Because I worry about you. I can't just stop doing that, no matter how old you are. I can worry out loud or I can worry silently but either way I am going to worry.

• You want to have fun;I want you to have fun. I also want you to be safe. So how about you (or we) try to find a way for you to get what you want and me to get what I want? Demonstrate to me that you have taken steps to do what you want to do in a safe way and I'll see if I can agree to it.

• But in the end, if we cannot agree and cannot compromise, somebody has to make a final decision, and, whether you like it or not, I am the one with the moral and legal responsibility to make that decision.

rjrctrmom

Thank you so much Dr. Baxter for your time and the helpful advice.

Tanya

David Baxter PhD

Late Founder

You're welcome, Tanya.

Here's a book you may find useful:

How to Talk So Teens Will Listen and Listen So Teens Will Talk by Adele Faber and Elaine Mazlish. They also have one for younger children titled How to Talk So Kids Will Listen and Listen So Kids Will Talk.

And a couple of others:

Elgin, Suzette Haden. The Gentle Art of Communicating with Kids: Toddlers to Teens. Wiley & Sons, 1996

Nelsen, Jane, & Lott, Lynn. Positive Discipline for Teenagers: Resolving Conflict with Your Son or Daughter in an Atmosphere of Mutual Respect (2nd Ed.). Prima Publishing, 2000

Replying is not possible. This forum is only available as an archive.