More threads by Selinna

Selinna

Before son's teenage years everything function normal. When his son enters the age of developing into an adult with a pretty figure, and begin to demonstrate knowledge, his abilities and independence, the father starts to exercise physical and mental abuse toward his son, belittling him, and frequently raising hell in a home by yelling and beating him like he fights a wild bear.

Note: The son does not intend to compete with his father in any way, not for mother, not for domination in a home, or anything else. Therefore I am not sure is it a variant of Oedipus conflict.

The father is also unjustifiably and extremely jealous husband.

Is there a psychological term for his condition, or a common name for this phenomenon ?

Last edited:

Jazzey

Account Closed
I'm not sure of any real psychological terminology Selinna. I read this and it just sounds as if the father in this case has really strong insecurities, that he's jealous of his son. I hope that the son has some measure of protection from all of this....

Daniel E.

daniel@psychlinks.ca
Administrator
I don't know if there is a term for it, either. I would guess that's because there are more common factors behind child abuse.

the father starts to exercise physical and mental abuse toward his son...beating him like he fights a wild bear.

Unless it's a hypothetical example, how would you know for sure that the abuse was not going on earlier?

In any case:

Parent or caregiver factors potentially contributing to maltreatment relate to:

• Personality characteristics and psychological well-being
  • History of maltreatment
  • Substance abuse
  • Attitudes and knowledge
http://www.childwelfare.gov/pubs/usermanuals/foundation/foundatione.cfm
So there may be more important factors than jealousy like a relapse or start of alcoholism or drug addiction.

And, of course, if you are talking about something going on now (rather than something that happened 20 years ago), the important thing is not to tolerate it, even if the father has to be charged with abuse. At least in the US and Canada, child abuse can be reported anonymously. The long-term psychological impact of verbal and physical abuse on a developing teenage brain cannot be overstated.

Selinna

Unless it's a hypothetical example, how would you
know for sure that the abuse was not going on earlier?

Thank you for responding. It is not a hypothetical example. The teen's testimony does not include such a violent or disturbing abuse except occasional spanking from time to time which he doesn't perceive as something that would destroy his childhood, nor a contributing factor to the current chaotic relations in a family.

However, he can clearly recall couple of arguments between parents with disturbingly loud shouting and threatening gestures toward his mother when he was age of three or four years old.

There is no history of alcohol or drugs abuse with the father, until the teen turned 16 when the alcohol was abused lightly and occasionaly, but anyway by then the violence was already in a full swing .

Hi, I agree a 100% wth Daniel, the fathers insecurities give him no rights to abuse in any form whatever his sons , daughters or his wife.

At least in the US and Canada, child abuse can be reported anonymously. The long-term psychological impact of verbal and physical abuse on a developing teenage brain cannot be overstated. __________________

If the young man is someone you know, then it would be wise to report this abuse, before it does any lasting damage.

Replying is not possible. This forum is only available as an archive.