More threads by Cat Dancer

What would be the most ethical way to terminate therapy? Send a letter, leave a voice mail, or discuss it in therapy?

discussing it in therapy would be the optimal choice. this gives you a chance to discuss your reasons for it, which would provide you with closure. It also gives you both a chance to say goodbye and to leave on positive terms. of course it doesn't have to be goodbye for good, you always have the option of returning.

that being said i agree with david's reply in your case.

Daniel E.

daniel@psychlinks.ca
Administrator
Well, would there be anything wrong with taking a month off?

One potential scenario: You start feeling worse but then can't see the therapist for several weeks because he is booked.

Banned

Banned
I would discuss this with your therapist, Janet. There may be some underlying reasons why you want to take a break. I know for me, anytime things get tough I decide it's break time. By discussing this with my therapist, she's able to help me work past the feelings of fear or anxiety about continuing. This helps me to stay on track and be able to benefit from therapy.

I agree with David as well - talk to your therapist before making any decisions on any course of action. He or she will best direct and assist you with your decision.

I would discuss this with your therapist, Janet. There may be some underlying reasons why you want to take a break. I know for me, anytime things get tough I decide it's break time.

I think this is what is happening with me. Things were so intense for a few weeks and now I have a week off and it feels like a relief. Next it will be three weeks of therapy each week and I'm scared. I sent him a letter and I tried to explain how I'm feeling. I hope he will understand that I'm scared and frustrated with myself at how things have been going. I still don't talk very much and I'm frustrated at that too. If I'm going to be there and it's going to be painful I might as well talk more. I tried to explain that in the letter, how I want to talk more, but if I can't then I might as well not even go. Oh, this is so confusing. :( :( :(

I am so tired. My mind just races and yet I cannot seem to focus on any particular thought or activity. I need to really clean the house, but I can't think of how to do it. It's overwhelming to me. I'm keeping up, but barely. There are so many things I want to say and do and I don't know where to start or how to start. I don't know if any of this makes sense.

I just thought of something: I never give myself credit for the things I do. I just tear myself down and beat myself up for the things I can't seem to do. Why do I do that?

David Baxter PhD

Late Founder
I think this is what is happening with me. Things were so intense for a few weeks and now I have a week off and it feels like a relief. Next it will be three weeks of therapy each week and I'm scared.

I think that's exactly what's happening. It's really all about anxiety and obsessive worrying - worrying that you'll never get better, worrying that you will, worrying about what will happen during your session, worrying about what won't happen.

I would suggest that you really try to talk about this to your therapist when next you see him.

ThatLady

I just thought of something: I never give myself credit for the things I do. I just tear myself down and beat myself up for the things I can't seem to do. Why do I do that?

I think that's just habitual behavior, Janet. You've always failed to give yourself credit for the good things you do. It's become a habit. :hug:

I definitely agree that you're not ready to terminate therapy yet. The best thing to do, as I see it, is to discuss it with your therapist. Now that you've written him, telling him about your feelings, it will be easier to approach when you see him. :)

Peanut

Janet, it sounds like he responded to your letter? I think you should try to talk to him about it. He can't really help you with it if you don't keep going to him and talk to him. I think you should try to go in, if you absolutely need a break, take a week off or something, but don't terminate it yet. It sounds like it would be really premature. Listen to Dr. Baxter, he has been here for a long time, if he is saying don't then I think he's probably right.

I can't figure out a way to bring up this issue in therapy. I want to stop going. I definitely see more and more each day that it isn't working for me. That nothing will. But I don't know how to bring up the topic. I'm just getting worse. My thoughts are more distorted and just not clear.

Daniel E.

daniel@psychlinks.ca
Administrator
My thoughts are more distorted and just not clear.

All the more reason to go to therapy. The thoughts that lead to hopelessness must be challenged as it is the greatest indicator of self-harm, suicide, etc.

Peanut

You could say something like you're frustrated that you're not feeling better, and you wonder why or something like that and see what he says...

Halo

Janet,

I know you have written letters before to your therapist so I was thinking that maybe you could express your thoughts and feelings to him in writing. Tell him exactly what you are telling us and leave it open to be discussed at your next session.

Just a thought.
Take care :heart:
:hug:

Replying is not possible. This forum is only available as an archive.