More threads by Meg

Meg

Dr. Meg, Global Moderator, Practitioner
MVP
The Body Remembers
by Babette Rothschild
Reviewed by Meg

I picked this book up a couple of years ago after hearing many people sing its praise. After reading it I would certainly join in on the chorus! (Yes, that was supposed to be witty...ahem :blush:) Post-trauma reactions such as flashbacks and other disconcerting bodily sensations are, by their very nature, frightening to experience. Having a better understanding of what is going on in your body can help to reduce that fear a little, however.

Babette Rothschild explains how human memory is believed to be affected by exposure to trauma. Her book covers the major conceptual divisions in memory, the physical brain structures associated with them, and explains the practical consequences when things go a bit awry. Her use of examples makes the content easier to understand.

In addition to explaining the theoretical side of posttraumatic stress reactions, Rothschild provides an overview of how this theory may be effectively applied in a therapeutic setting.

I personally felt quite enlightened after reading this book and am glad that I invested time in reading it carefully. The content is relatively complex, but is well laid out and written with the non-professional reader in mind. I would recommend it to anybody who is interested in dedicating some time to learning more about post-traumatic reactions. :2thumbs:

Thanks sounds interesting. My psych doctor said that as well how the body remembers and i really do believe it does. Certain reactions body movements just come out when in therapy as if it remembers exactly what had happened. Will try pick up book today thanks.

Meg

Dr. Meg, Global Moderator, Practitioner
MVP
You're welcome :)

I hope you find it as helpful as I did.

Replying is not possible. This forum is only available as an archive.