More threads by David Baxter PhD

The Ten Forms of Twisted Thinking
From: David Burns, The Feeling Good Handbook (Penguin, 1999), and David Burns, Feeling Good: The New Mood Therapy (Avon, 1999).

6. Magnification
You exaggerate the importance of your problems and shortcomings, or you minimize the importance of your desirable qualities. This is also called the "binocular trick."

These ten points, particularly number 6, are precisely why I don't want to reveal my thoughts in therapy. I think the therapist will think all my thoughts are invalid, that I am just being melodramatic, that none of my problems are real and it is all in my head. It makes me feel like everything is my fault and I'm to blame for my feelings. I'm sure it is true, but it is incredibly invalidating. So rather than speak and have the therapist then say ok that's nice but everything you think is completely wrong, I say nothing.

Jazzey

Account Closed
Hi Buffy,

A lot of us feel the same way. I always feel as if i'm a drama-queen when I reveal my thoughts. But I also know that whether I'm being a drama-queen or not, those thoughts are bothering me. So I put them out there and hope that my psychologist knows me well enough by know to appreciate that I'm expressing myself because I need to and I'm seeking her advice....

Halo

Buffy,

I can relate to having a lot of the twisted thinking happening in my head however what is great about therapists is that they are trained to pick up on our twisted thinking. What I have learned is that no matter what I have to say or am thinking or feeling, I will not be judged by my therapist and I think the same thing for you. He will not judge you or think that everything is your fault or to blame. Although that may be what you are thinking because you have distorted thinking, your therapist does not and can therefore help you. He only wants to help you with whatever you are struggling with and he can't do that if you don't open up to him (sorry I am assuming here that it is a him but if it is a female, I apologize).

I really would encourage you to try and open up to him just a bit....it will definitely help.

hey Buffy i agree with Halo i just started therapy and my dr first words were he was not here to judge anyone the therapist just want to help you and if you are able to open up a bit i know its hard as i am having trouble with it the therapist will be able to give us coping skill or ways to help us deal with our distorted thinking or our fears etc. we just have to TRUST them even if you open up a bit at a time take care mary

buffy, a therapist isn't flat-out going to tell you that your thoughts are wrong. they will help you see, in a gentle way, how your thinking might be skewed and will help you see a more objective rational view. this in turn will make you feel better. you have nothing to lose and everything to gain. :)

amastie

Buffy :support:
Can't add anything. Just wanted to let you know that I understand. Hope that you will be able to break through your fear to share more fully with your therapist.

And thank you for bringing this article to my attention. I hadn' seen it.

ive been told that i am a black and white thinker i see some traits but i think it is just the trust is not there in people so i over react sometimes great article

Thanks for this article and yes i too see many apply to me, especially seeing things in black and white. Thanks also for 15 ways to help undo these distorted thoughts

Last edited by a moderator:
I do all of these at one time or another and it feels overwhelming trying to figure out what I'm doing and how to fix it. Is there some way to force myself to not be so upset about trying to figure this out?

Daniel E.

daniel@psychlinks.ca
Administrator
Well, there are other forms of CBT, the third-wave behavior therapies like ACT and DBT, that focus more on one's relationship to the thoughts (as in mindfulness) than the content of the thoughts (as in labeling cognitive distortions). And all forms of CBT incorporate behavior change, which is arguably the most effective way to take cognitive distortions less seriously -- including the automatic negative thoughts that everyone has to some degree.

But if you mean something else, maybe give an example of what you mean?

Replying is not possible. This forum is only available as an archive.