More threads by Peanut

Peanut

Hello,
Does anyone know of any good therapists in the Portland, OR area? I keep trying to call my (seperated) spouse's psychiatrist for a referral (which he suggested to me when I went in for an appointment) but I cannot bring myself to dial the last number...I keep trying to dial and then hanging up. I have really mixed feelings about going at all and I feel a little paralyzed. Is it a conflict of interest for that psychiatrist to see both of us? When I went there he said he did not reccommend couples counseling because it seemed like I wasn't motivated to save the marriage. I don't know what to do and I don't know how I got myself into this mess at age 24. I'm becoming increasingly anxious about everything in general and totally irritated with the seperated spouse. For some reason the word "husband" "marriage" "wife" and several other words make me sick to my stomach to even say. His birthday is tomorrow and I'm pretty much his sole source of support. We are still "dating" but not living together. This whole situation is really making my skin crawl.

Anyway, it seems like perhaps I should consider seeing someone but I keep looking on the internet and can't find anyone that I think I can trust. I also will not see a female therapist, only a male. Any ideas? I feel totally stuck and extremely anxious. Thanks

Peanut

Thanks very much, I checked out that link. I really like it when the therapists have their pictures up because I'm really very hesitant to go to someone who I cannot see first. It is very scary to make an appointment to talk to a stranger, although all the information on that link is very helpful in that regard. My family doctor would not be much help as I'm pretty sure that she refers to the main psychiatrist in the area, whom I had a very unsuccessful relationship with in the past. She is one of the main reasons that I do not want a woman doctor. I think I'm being too picky, actually maybe I'm just looking for an excuse to worm out of going at all. Thank you guys again...I wish I could go to one of you for therapy instead=)

Peanut

The other thing I keep thinking about finding a therapist, is that maybe I don't have enough problems to go see one. Like maybe the therapist will think I'm there for no reason and will be bored or something. I know therapists do get bored and I would HATE to be that patient. The one that it's "Oh no, not her again" type of thing.

David Baxter PhD

Late Founder
I don't think you need worry about that, Toeless. I sometimes have clients come in because they're not sure if the problem they're perceiving is serious or not. If it isn't, I tell them so and that's usually reassuring.