More threads by MissUnderstood

Hi, i registered here a while ago but have only really been lurking as my story is so complex i dont really know where to begin! Just wanna say that here looks like a very supportive place and i do hope in due time i can let my barriers down and be a part of it.

Anyways, the question i have now is one about my therapy and therapist...

As mentioned my story is very complex, but, to a therapist it ticks all the boxes for a good case study.

My question is: Can a therapist write about you? Tell your story to others??

I understand about confidentiality and all that jazz, but, i also know that stories can be told once the name is left out.... How do i know she isn't researching me, writing about me, and sharing to others my story? As far as I'm aware, she is allowed to, once my name is left out...

How is that true confidentiality???

Maybe I'm just completely paranoid, but, paranoid or not, the questions still stand and are very valid....

Am I right in what I say??!

W00BY

MVP, Forum Supporter
MVP
Re: Therapists/Therapy: Is it truely confidential??

Hi Miss

If you read a few books on say psychotherapy or counseling you will find examples of case studies where the names and some of the details have been changed.

It needs to be done due to client/therapist confidentiality.

A good therapist will always stick to the confidentiality agreement.

You could ask the therapist exactly what the case study is for and what information they will be using exactly they may even have old case studies they have written before!

I think you should certainly be certain within your own mind before agreeing.

I have wondered the same question. I do believe as professionals that some conversations do happen without the name being present. I would ask your therapist outright if this has happened and how you are concerned That way you will know where you stand hugs

AmZ

I can imagine that things are told to others by therapists but with names and some details being changed.

I can also imagine the urge that a therapist would have for example to go home after a long day at work, maybe something out of the ordinary happened and the therapist shares it with his/her wife/husband. Maybe this is like 'wind-down' time for the therapist. Almost like therapy for the therapist. Maybe they want to ask advice from others about a patient so will speak about them to a family member or friend or even more so, a fellow colleague who can perhaps give an insight in to the situation. I'm just rambling ;)

Hey it took me a while before i could open up about the worry i have about this, but she reassured me and told me that for any therapist to share a story or what have you, they would need to have the clients permission to do so. Im not sure how much this rests my worries though...

I hope your worries lessen hun as you develop a trust with your therapist. Sometimes our thoughts make us a bit paranoid but i can assure you a professional would never discuss anything without the clients permission. It is illegal and unethical to do so

poss

Hi Missunderstood,

As far as I know, therapists only really discuss your case with colleagues or their supervisors, who are there to offer advice or another perspective. I don't imagine that my therapist would ever discuss me or any of her other clients with her family or friends. She once told me that going out with friends is difficult for her when they are all talking about their work because she cannot discuss her work. I believe her and don't think for a second that she would discuss me except for in a professional sense and without mentioning my name or giving away too many details.

Having said that, I first started seeing my therapist via a referral from my psychiatrist funded by the health authority and I knew her supervisor. When I later had a meeting with the supervisor, I wasn't too comfortable with her talking about things that I shared in confidence with my therapist and wasn't aware that she knew. My therapist only had 2 clients at the time and so I guess it was obvious which one of us she was talking about even if she didn't mention my name. I don't think this was her fault though and in her private practice I don't think she would ever do this.

I hope you can trust your therapist not to break your confidence in any way that would make you recognisable. I think this just comes with time and knowing your therapist.

I wish you all the best.

Poss

Replying is not possible. This forum is only available as an archive.