More threads by David Baxter PhD

David Baxter PhD

Late Founder
Therapy more effective when psychologists focus on their clients' strengths
British Psychological Society
August 6, 2008

There's a growing body of evidence showing that, rather than just focusing on problems, it can be beneficial for psychologists to remind clients of their strengths - an approach sometimes known as "resource activation".

Now Christoph Fluckiger and Martin Holtforth have taken this a stage further. They've found that getting psychologists to think about their clients' strengths for a few minutes before a therapy session is great for the quality of the therapist-client relationship and leads to improved recovery for the clients.

Twenty trainee psychotherapists practising an eclectic form of therapy, including CBT, each saw a client for twenty sessions. Before and after each of the first five sessions, the therapists had a five minute chat with a colleague about their client's strengths and how successfully they had managed to remind their client of his or her strengths.

The researchers dug out comparison data on twenty similar therapist-client pairs treated at the same clinic in the past. Compared with these previous therapist-client pairs, the trainee psychotherapists primed to think about their clients' strengths subsequently had a better relationship with their clients (as judged by videotapes of their sessions) and their clients showed greater improvement by their twentieth session.

"Future studies need to investigate further which specific resource-activating therapist behaviours are most effective for which patients and for which specific therapist," the researchers said.

Source: Fluckiger, C., Grosse Holtforth, M. (2008). Focusing the therapist's attention on the patient's strengths: a preliminary study to foster a mechanism of change in outpatient psychotherapy. Journal of Clinical Psychology, 64(7), 876-890.

ladylore

Account Closed
This is very true. This is what my trauma therapist focuses on the most. What are my strengths, keeping a log of how I am taking care of myself. How I am my own best friend. It works quite well.

Daniel E.

daniel@psychlinks.ca
Administrator
Is Your Therapist Re-Traumatizing You?
Apr 11, 2011 (Retrieved July 23, 2020)

There is nothing sadder for me than when I witness the effects of poor therapy on someone. I've heard horror stories from clients, observed distressing situations with friends, and even experienced some of it firsthand. Perhaps the economy adds to the difficulty, giving psychotherapists who fear losing business an incentive to keep clients distressed so they keep coming back...

A good therapist/counselor helps you find your strengths. They feed your resilience and focus on your core strengths that will help you overcome difficulties.

If a therapist/counselor is constantly picking at your wounds and leading you down a rabbit hole of eternal analysis to the point where you feel like you can't function in life because you need an analytical fix, there is a danger. You may even be suffering some re-traumatization. If so, get out and seek new help.

Replying is not possible. This forum is only available as an archive.