More threads by Hunter

Hunter

I have been on the following meds since July 2008

150 mg seroquel *taken at bedtime *** was 100 mg changed one month ago
60 mg remeron * taken at bedtime
20 mg celexa *taken in the morning

For the most part the meds have been great, except for the last three months - I am physically and mentally exhausted to the point where I am having a hard time to function at work and at home.

I have no mental focus, no concentration, my memory is total mush - I am literally falling asleep at my desk, and I am finding myself catching myself from falling off my chair - this is how tired I am.

I work from 7:15 am to 4:30 pm - I adminster online training programs, so I sit with students taking computer training, then I have to process their certification. It is a daily struggle to keep this up.
I try and drink coffee to keep awake but I am finding nothing works. I have even started going to bed earlier than normal like 9:30 pm and nothing seems to make me better.

My doctor thinks it is the meds, but I have been on the meds along time but the last few months have been the worst for me.I have to write myself so many notes just to remember the least little thing.

My husband will ask me to get him something out of the fridge, and I get up to get it and my mind goes totally blank.

Can anyone offer me any ideas as to what is causing this..... living my life the way it is like this.......is not fun at all.....Every minute of everyday is a big struggle for me...Why is this happening to me... any input is greatly appreciated....I have a doctor appt on April 13 to discuss this....

Re: Totally mentally & physically exhausted all the time is it the meds

HI It could be your medication or it could be other things hun. Have you had a complete bloodwork done. Could be inactive thyroid low hemoglobin ect.
I hope you can get in to see your doctor maybe even sooner so you can find the cause of the exhaustion.

David Baxter PhD

Late Founder
Re: Totally mentally & physically exhausted all the time is it the meds

Both Seroquel and Remeron are known to be sedating so it could certainly be those medications. I'm wondering why you are on that combination, though. What are you being treated for?

I think it could be your medication but get bloodwork. Done won't hurt. My sister is in mid 50's and not in menopause yet but her hormones were out of whack. She was describing to us how bad her memory was and you would have thought she had a bad case of Alzheimer disease. Driving somewhere not knowing where wether to the bank or home. She takes pills to help her.

Sue

Hunter

I am being treated for PTSD (history of violent physical & sexual abuse, mental abuse - repeatedly being raped by ex abuser - resulted in me having a abortion -
and panic disorder - my body is in extreme panic mode all the time - this is a nightmare in itself.
I am seeing my past abuse in my dreams nightly but the flashbacks are also happening in my waking hours - this makes it very extremely hard to function....

---------- Post added at 09:28 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:25 PM ----------

Yes I had complete bloodwork done, so its not the thyroid -but I am getting unbearable pains in my fingers, hands, elbows and calves - when I try to fall asleep. I either have to take oxycontin to help the pain - or I take a very hot bath, I normally try the bath, as I am not a fan of oxycontin, only take them in extreme moments.

Daniel E.

daniel@psychlinks.ca
Administrator
My doctor thinks it is the meds

So maybe your doctor adjusting the dose of the Seroquel and/or Remeron may help. Even if it doesn't seem that it will help, it may not hurt to try something like that.

unbearable pains in my fingers, hands, elbows and calves
Is this muscular pain? Or is it in your joints only?

Muscular pain coupled with extreme fatigue can result from something lacking in the diet/nutrition or even dehydration. Sometimes medication can cause symptoms. Have you asked your pharmacist what some possible side-effects are? It might even be something to do with immunity or hormones: I have thyroid issues (my not be your thyroid but something else) and at certain times of the month I feel like that, but not for months on end. I usually get my blood tested and low and behold, it turns out to be the thyroid (in my case) and the doctor has to increase my synthroid dosage.

If it's joints only, you may have some sort of arthritis. Does anything like that run in the family?

Either way, it's never a good idea to change meds without consulting with a doctor first. Is there anyway you could call your doctor and ask, or request a call-back in case someone cancels an appointment before mid-April?

The chances of side-effects seem very very low, but perhaps you can discuss these with the doctor:
Seroquel: joint pain and fatigue, low thyroid (check the other pages, too): Seroquel Side Effects

Remeron: some confusion, joint pain, etc... Remeron Side Effects | Drugs.com

Celexa: fatigue, muscle or joint pain, confusion... Celexa Side Effects

Just curious, are you taking ibuprofen or any other NSAIDs with this medication? Better check on that, too. If you mix even things like ibuprofen with Cipralex, for example, which is an anti-anxiety med that I take, it can cause a really bad reaction.

Replying is not possible. This forum is only available as an archive.