More threads by Banned

Banned

Banned
I'm just wondering if anyone knows anything about Transactional Analysis and reparenting therapy. My therapist is suggesting it for me and I'm intrigued by the idea but there isn't alot of information out there. The TA Institute here in town apparently offers it, but I want more information specific to the "reparenting" part - what does that mean, exactly? What would a session look like? What does it involve, etc...I've heard there are contracts but I don't know any more than that. My therapist doesn't know all the ins and outs but said she would ask some questions and try and get some answers for me...but it's a week away and I want to know NOW!

Halo

I have never heard of this before but will do some research and see what I can come up with. It does sound rather interesting.

Will let you know if I find anything.

Good luck
:goodluck:

All about TA

Transactional analysis - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I was in a TA group in the early 1970s and it was good and helped me at the time, there was about 7 in the group, and it lasted 2 hours I actually liked it heres another link about the contracts

Transactional Analysis and contracts

The reparenting bit is about getting your internal parent to love and treat your inner child differently. Theres loads online about TA, Id go, anything is worth trying Good luck.:)

Banned

Banned
Thanks for those links. The stuff about contracts is interesting.

I'm curious about the reparenting part...from what very, very limited information I have available (and I can't seem to find anything on the internet) I'm told they do things like holding and cuddling and feeding and stuff...literal "reparenting"...it concerns me a little bit that I can't find anything on the internet about it...everything is very vague in reference, although I do trust my therapist not to lead me astray or into something unhealthy.

It might be a bit too personal if anybody has experienced it, so if anybody has information and wants to privately PM me that would be ok too.

I dont remember feeding, but there was holding and cuddling and that was good made the child part of you feel good and wanted. Theres something called attachment therapy which involves re-parenting,, which is used with children and teenagers and that involves feeding etc whether they use that now in TA with adults I dont know as these therapies change so much,, and its years since I was in a TA group. Why dont you contact the place where your therapy is taking place and ask them, tell them your concerns and ask them exactly what is involved.

Banned

Banned
Thanks SR.

I don't have the contact info for the place...my therapist does and I've asked her to ask the questions, but I'm curious and wanted answers before my next session.

I talked very briefly with one person who is familiar and she said there is "lots of full body contact, bottle feeding, and holding". I haven't been able to get any further information from her though...and I'm just super curious.

If I have to wait I have to wait...I just wondered if there was anybody here who'd experienced this and if they found it helpful, harmful, or neither.

Halo

From the little information that you have gathered, does this sound like something that you might be interested in or is it too soon to tell?

Banned

Banned
Yeah...definitely very interested...apparently "my type" needs to know all about therapy sessions before they begin, though hehe. I don't know what "my type" means, a previous therapist pegged that and it definitely is true...more likely though, I research everything all the time anyway...this is just one more thing to research because I'm interested in it.

Halo

Well I think that it is good to do the research and be aware before embarking on anything new in a session. For me I wouldn't want to go into anything without having prior knowledge or warning of what was ahead of me. I think that it is great that you are trying to gain some insight beforehand. Keep up the research and hope you find more :)

I too think its good to research, so you know what your going to and what the beliefs of that therapy are and whats expected of you. I feel more relaxed when I know what somethings about instead of going in blind.

Banned

Banned
So my therapist is calling today to set this up. The therapist that does it works on a sliding scale, thankfully, because I couldn't afford two therapists at full rate.

I should know more next week.

Halo

That does sound interesting, BG. I hope that it is all that you are anticipating.

Do keep us posted and good luck :goodluck:

Banned

Banned
Thanks. I'll know more on Monday after I meet with her, assuming she did in fact get ahold of the other therapist.

Banned

Banned
Just an update...I connected with the TA therapist today via email, and she is on holidays until July 9th. I'll connect with her when she's back to work and we'll set something up for a first app't. I'm going to initially meet with her on my own, and then eventually we'll bring my regular therapist into the picture.

Banned

Banned
I met with this counsellor yesterday. I've chosen not to pursue this any further with this person for a whole bunch of reasons:

1. She works from Jacqui Schiff's theory base on reparenting. Jacqui is not at all respected in the psychological community and has been labelled by many as extremely dangerous. She is directly or indirectly responsible for the deaths of more than one child.

2. She insists her clients call her "Mom". I'm not sure whose needs are being met here - hers or mine.

3. She gives out her home phone number. I see boundary issues as well as, again, whose needs are being met with this?

4. She also uses TA (Transactional Analysis). I did not know this, but a very, very wise person (thanks David!) told me it's basically a leftover gimmick from the hippie craze in the 60s and 70s. A very quick search online also told me "During the last few years, TA has lost much of its market in the USA and moved abroad, leaving a legacy of human damage.? I have absolutely no desire to get emotionally messed up again right now.

5. She claims to have a Masters degree, but I don't think it's even a real degree from a real university. It's a Masters of Science in Transactional Analysis from the TA Institute. Seriously? I have a Masters of Science in Doggie Psychology from the Brenda Institute. I feel she is mis-representing herself and her qualifications. In actual fact, she is a Registered Social Worker.

6. I asked her some very pointed questions that I already knew the answer to, but wanted to see how forthcoming she would be with information. She wasn't. She held back and said there were things she couldn't tell me right now but I'd have to wait and see. She did tell me that the process was at least 2-3 years. I asked her what a typical session would look like and she seemed uncomfortable answering this, and kind of danced around it until we ended up off-topic.

So, the search continues on how to move forward and heal this part of me that desperately needs to be healed but can't seem to find a way.

Halo

I am sorry that it didn't turn out the way you had hoped BG but I do think based on what you have described that you are making a good decision for yourself. I am glad that you were prepared going in so you knew what you were looking for.

I am sure that the right type of therapy will happen. You are doing great :2thumbs:

Take care
:hug: :hug:

I'm sorry too it didnt work out and I think you made the right decision too. I must say having looked further into this after your post I found some strange stuff about attachment therapy/reparenting which I too might have not been happy with I dont have a problem with TA it helped me and in itself is not a bad therapy but others seem to be mixing it up with other therapys which are not so good. Anyway I do hope you find the right type of therapy soon.

Replying is not possible. This forum is only available as an archive.