More threads by Cindy

Cindy

Why would my therapist act cold to me after I admitted my romantic transference for him? He uses CBT, and apparently now that it’s out in the open, we continue with CBT, as if it were never addressed. I’m not sure if I should say something, or continue on this path where it feels like he hates me now! I know there’s no real friendship, I’m aware of the ethical boundaries, but shouldn’t it be dealt with?

Cindy

Why would my therapist act cold to me after I admitted my romantic transference for him? He uses CBT, and apparently now that it’s out in the open, we continue with CBT, as if it were never addressed. I’m not sure if I should say something, or continue on this path where it feels like he hates me now! I know there’s no real friendship, I’m aware of the ethical boundaries, but shouldn’t it be dealt with?

I guess that was part of my question, should i bring it up and ask him or just ignore it an try to get past it? He says transference is not really dealt with by CBT but shouldn’t we at least talk about it to figure out why?

David Baxter PhD

Late Founder
I think the issue is two fold:

1. why wouldn't he discuss the issue with you, given that it's obviously something that concerns you?
  2. if you feel he has changed since you brought up the question and is now more distant or cold, does that affect your trust in him as a therapist?

Cindy

I think the issue is two fold:

1. why wouldn't he discuss the issue with you, given that it's obviously something that concerns you?
  2. if you feel he has changed since you brought up the question and is now more distant or cold, does that affect your trust in him as a therapist?

Two great questions, gives me something to ponder until I see him again! Thank you! You have helped more then you know!

Replying is not possible. This forum is only available as an archive.