More threads by David Baxter PhD

David Baxter PhD

Late Founder
Transitioning from Google Reader to feedly
by @feedly
March 14, 2013

Google announced today that they will be shutting down Google Reader. This is something we have been expecting for some time: We have been working on a project called Normandy which is a feedly clone of the Google Reader API ? running on Google App Engine. When Google Reader shuts down, feedly will seamlessly transition to the Normandy back end. So if you are a Google Reader user and using feedly, you are covered: the transition will be seamless.

If you are a Google Reader, give feedly a try before July 1st, and you will be able to migrate seamlesly:

Feedly for iOS
Feedly for Android
Feedly for Chrome
Feedly for Firefox

David Baxter PhD

Late Founder
I have been experimenting with several feed readers over the past month or so.

Feedly is nice enough but I just couldn't set it up the way I wanted it.

If you liked Google Reader, you really should have another look at The Old Reader. They've added some features even in the past month and it's as close as you can get to the old Google Reader interface. It will also import all your Google Reader feeds from a Google created Reader archive.

One thing about The Old Reader: It encourages you to log in with your Google or Facebook or Twitter account, but that may stumble trying to directly import subscriptions. If, like me, you prefer not to link accounts for privacy or other reasons, just click on Login/Register instead and set up a new account. I found this worked better and didn't stumble at all importing the subscriptions.xml file.

Replying is not possible. This forum is only available as an archive.