More threads by Cat Dancer

But I am SO worn down, run down. :( I thought I would start with ten minutes on our elliptical, but I can't do it! I feel really discouraged. I'm wondering if I should just walk? Maybe a mile a day or so? What do you do when your eating disorder has run you down? :(

Daniel E.

daniel@psychlinks.ca
Administrator
Re: trying to start exercising

I thought I would start with ten minutes on our elliptical, but I can't do it!

I sometimes do just a few minutes, like even when I am waiting for the microwave to heat up my tea.

locrian

Assuming that you have adequately addressed the eating disorder, it might be a good idea to get a medical exam before you undergo any exercise regimen. If your body is malnourished or if there's some physical illness as a result of the eating disorder (or for any other reason, for that matter), exercise might not be beneficial, and anything strenuous might do more harm than good.

i think you're right. I will wait and ask my doctor when I see her next. I am still in the throes of this eating disorder so it might be detrimental rather than helpful to start exercising strenuously. Maybe just walk a little bit each day.

sorry i am replying late, I think in terms of exercising (if i go with what i was told in therapy) It is best to not start exercising right away when you are starting recovery even they actually tried to get me not to exercise at all wich well was basically impossible but the point was for me to slowly eventually add it back into my life as part of a routine if i wanted but only as something i would enjoye and not make it a task or an obligation. I thought i loved exercising while i was deep in the anorexia as well as the bulimia but in the end when i was healthier i came to realise i hated it, i enjoyed walking doing activities that were like exercising rollerblading or playing volley ball or sports with friends but i realy hated to have to do it. I like to have the choice if i wanted to do it.. so basicaly i think maybe walks are the best idea for anyone who is recovering from an eating disorder to simply start off with small walks to not calculate your calories burned or not determine how long you have to walk according to what you ate that day or that week.. anyway i hope this is helpfull

Replying is not possible. This forum is only available as an archive.