More threads by making_art

making_art

Understanding Naloxone
Harm Reduction Coalition
April 2016

Naloxone (also known as Narcan?) is a medication called an ?opioid antagonist? used to counter the effects of opioid overdose, for example morphine and heroin overdose. Specifically, naloxone is used in opioid overdoses to counteract life-threatening depression of the central nervous system and respiratory system, allowing an overdose victim to breathe normally. Naloxone is a nonscheduled (i.e., non-addictive), prescription medication. Naloxone only works if a person has opioids in their system; the medication has no effect if opioids are absent. Although traditionally administered by emergency response personnel, naloxone can be administered by minimally trained laypeople, which makes it ideal for treating overdose in people who have been prescribed opioid pain medication and in people who use heroin and other opioids. Naloxone has no potential for abuse. Naloxone may be injected in the muscle, vein or under the skin or sprayed into the nose. Naloxone that is injected comes in a lower concentration (0.4mg/1mL) than Naloxone that is sprayed up the nose (2mg/2mL). It is a temporary drug that wears off in 20-90 minutes.

making_art

Opiate-blocker naloxone delisted by Health Canada, could soon be available without prescription
It's now up to individual provinces to make it available without a prescription
By Maryse Zeilder and Meera Bains,
Mar 23, 2016

The overdose-reversing drug naloxone has been delisted by Health Canada and could be available without a prescription, if individual provinces sign off.

Health groups and advocates across the country have been clamouring for naloxone to be widely available in order to prevent deaths, following a flood of fatalities linked to street drugs containing the powerful opiate fentanyl.

It has removed naloxone from the federal prescription drug list, which means it's now up to individual provinces to make it available without a prescription. That could take several months depending on how fast the provincial governments act.

The ministry said all 130 responses it received on the subject were in favour of the change. It said doctors, pharmacists and patient organizations were some of the groups included in the consultation.

The most common comment, said Health Canada, was "the need for a more user-friendly dosage form." Currently the drug is administered through injection — it said a nasal-spray form isn't yet available in Canada.

Naloxone can restore breathing within two to five minutes.

According to the Canadian Centre for Substance Abuse, there were 29 fentanyl-related deaths in 2009 across the country but that number spiked to nearly 900 in 2014.

Health Canada's decision on naloxone was met positively on Tuesday afternoon.

Naloxone could curb rising trend in prescription drug-related overdose deaths, WHO says
Naloxone kits distributed to Metro Vancouver homeless shelters

Last edited:

amazingmouse

Account Closed
Thanks. This is in my opinion following the same logic as legalizing Marijuana and making it available to High school students.
I do have a lot to say on the topic, but I will remain silent. Naloxone is a potent drug.
There are many reasons for which prescribers would love to make it available over the counter, scientific evidence is not one of them. I am also worried that people would feel safer to use illegal drugs, since they believe that if things go wrong, Naloxone is their back up option. Just a thought, but it is a valid concerns. It is not easy to save a life after an overdose, with or without Naloxone.
The main point here is that it is not easy to save a life after an overdose. Maybe they should print it on the packages of Naloxone? I don't know. We shall see.

---------- Post Merged at 10:34 PM ---------- Previous Post was at 10:02 PM ----------

The post is informative, but I still think they should take precautions with this policy, such as some kind of supporting those who buy Naloxone with 24 hrs access to emergency services or some kind of medical follow up. I don't know how likely it is for a lay person to reverse an overdose? I have seen a number of physicians and nurses overwhelmed with the task, it is scary to think that people will be told that a nose spray will bring them back, no?

making_art

Amazingmouse, Yes I agree that precautions and supports are needed but I tend to side with the harm reduction folks and others who work day in and day out with people struggling with these addictions. They do have research backing their methods. This seems like an immediate and promising hope in the midst of the current problems.

amazingmouse

Account Closed
If they train those who administer it, the chances of success would be higher. I hope they also inform people that self-administration is not likely to occur. I do not know if anyone did research on whether public access to Naloxone / Narcan increases the potential for overdose on opioid meds. The drug has been around for ages, but it is usually given in the context of intensive medical care following administration. Thank you for letting us know about the policy changes.

Replying is not possible. This forum is only available as an archive.