More threads by Daniel E.

Daniel E.

daniel@psychlinks.ca
Administrator

Do you have a keen imagination, rich inner life, and vivid dreams? Is time alone each day as essential as air? Do others call you too shy or overly sensitive? If you answered yes to any of these questions, you might be a highly sensitive person or HSP.

In this talk, Alane Freund, LMFT, an expert consultant working with the trait of high sensitivity, talks about how to use your strengths as an HSP, coping mechanisms for dealing with overstimulation, ways to improve your relationships, and the latest developments in research about highly sensitive people (HSPs).

For more information about Alane Freund's work and highly sensitive people, visit: https://www.areyouhighlysensitive.com/ and https://hsperson.com/.

David Baxter PhD

Late Founder
I am slowly becoming convinced that a significant number — probably the majority — of HSPs have OCD or will develop OCD as they get older. Those who don't will likely meet the criteria for one or more other anxiety disorders.

Daniel E.

daniel@psychlinks.ca
Administrator
probably the majority — of HSPs have OCD or will develop OCD as they get older.

Interesting! What percentage of the general population would you say is HSP? And what percentage of the general population has OCD?

(In the start of the video, Freund states 20 percent for HSP. If it is 20 percent of people having HSP and most of those have OCD of some variety, then that flies in the face of the 2 percent statistic for OCD per se.)

Last edited:

David Baxter PhD

Late Founder
Good point, although to clarify
  1. I meant it as OCD spectrum rather than necessarily meeting the full diagnostic criteria OCD; and
  2. I have a hard time believing OCD is that rare: I think there are a lot of people who would meet the criteria but are never seen by a mental health professional to be diagnosed, or for who it is not the primary diagnosis but underlies the primary diagnosis. For example, many diagnosed with schizophrenia show strong OCD traits but the schizophrenia diagnosis means that's rarely given attention.
  3. Additionally, that 20% estimate for HSPs is probably high.

David Baxter PhD

Late Founder
Yes exactly. Multiple diagnoses are permitted in the DSM but they are not always used, especially for billing and certain other purposes, so autism and ADHD are going to be the ones highlighted in such cases.

It may also be a question of medications - not everyone with OCD will take medications and even if they do it may be specified as medications for depression or anxiety rather than OCD.

Replying is not possible. This forum is only available as an archive.