More threads by atzi

atzi

to those that studied or is studying psychology. i believe u will come across this theory.
currently i am a student studying psychology and its a distance study program meaning i have to do most of my studies and reading myself. i am given an assigment to explain how SCT helps construct group identity and with this explaining the identities of people with disablilities. but being confused abt the theory itself, i am unable to apply it well here.
i am confused by is identity forged by society thru our daily interactions with society itself or by the way we describe ourselfs? and how does all this apply to construction of grp identities?
hopefuly someone here can post an explaination to help me bring light to this.

thanks for ur time
atzi

David Baxter PhD

Late Founder
need help understanding Social Constructionist theory.

Sorry, I'm not familiar with this theory. Do you know if it's at all related to social identity theory and social comparison theory?

atzi

hi david.
thanks for ur reply. if i am not wrong, the key figure of Social identity theory would be Henri Tajfel? abt how we build our identity base on the grp we want peopel to see us in. as for social comparise theory i am not sure. nvr heard of it yet. only in my first yr =)

so no.. SCT thou has some similarities but its a theory on its own. one of its key figure would be kenneth gergum.

David Baxter PhD

Late Founder

Yes re: Tajfel. Social Identity Theory sort of incorporates Social Comparison Theory as the basis for defining ingroups and outgroups, one's status within a group, and moving into new groups upward or downward in status.

atzi

thanks for the links. did a search already but found little explaination but will keep looking.

for social identity theory. are u familar with the minimal grp experiement conducted by Tajfel? from my understanding of it, i can onli see it helps explains grp prejudice but not explaining how grp identity is formed. is there some perspective i missed and also my understanding of the meaning of grp identity is an other way of saying social grp. did i interpret it correctly?

can u also list me an example/example i can read up on that give evidence to construction of grp identity thru SIT?

thanks for ur time

David Baxter PhD

Late Founder

I sent you an email containing an excerpt from an article about Social Identity Theory. Email me if you don't receive it.

atzi

i didnt recieve ur mail =( if u didnt recieve my email i sent to u. pls let me know here.

thanks
atzi

Replying is not possible. This forum is only available as an archive.