More threads by Gayalondiel

Hi, everyone, I suppose I should introduce myself, seeing as I've lurked long enough.

I'm Gayalondiel and I've just finished university, although I don't have my results yet. I've suffered from depression and attention-seeking from a very young age, partly due to middle-child-syndrome and partly, as I understand it, from just having something of a messed-up head. I've struggled with self-injury in the past and present, although it tends to be much more under control right now.

A little under two years ago, the situation was compounded when I was raped on several occasions by my then boyfriend. While this has been a deeply traumatic event for me to deal wih, of course, it has also been a blessing in disguise, as after a couple of suicide attempts my chaplain convinced me to seek the help I need, and the subsequent counseling has helped me to work through a lot of old ground as well as the recent trauma.

As a coping mechanism, I've fallen to the internet, in particular a Lord of the Rings fandom, in which I exorcise some of my daemons through fanfiction (hence Gayalondiel, it's an Elvish name). As for why I'm here, well, we all need people to talk to sometimes, and I'm not just thinking of myself, but of the many people I know that need help from time to time - it's better for me to have a resource than to muddle through blindly.

So, hello, and thanks for putting this super forum here.

momof5

Hi Gayalondiel
Welcome to the family here!
I am happy that you have come out of the shadows and introduced yourself, its a pleasure to meet you!

David Baxter PhD

Late Founder
I'm glad you found us, Gayalondiel...

For some reason, many of us find it difficult to admit we could use a helping hand from time to time... including me. It's like, "what are you saying? I'm super(wo)man... I don't need people to help me!"

I'm pleased you decided to stop by - to share your expriences, the wisdom those experiences has brought to you, and yes also your confusions or fears.

By the way, I've long been a fan of LOTR and I must say when I first heard they were making the movies I was expecting them to be bad - I'm pleased to say that my fears were groundless and I'm now enjoying repeat viewings of the "extended edition" version DVDs... :eek:)

hello and hello, and thank you for the kind welcomes.

By the way, I've long been a fan of LOTR and I must say when I first heard they were making the movies I was expecting them to be bad - I'm pleased to say that my fears were groundless and I'm now enjoying repeat viewings of the "extended edition" version DVDs... :eek:)

I don't think you realise what you just let yourself in for... I'm among the more 'fanatical' fans, if one can say that? A lot of my own therapy had derived from, or is rooted in, either comparing myself to charachters of Tolkien's or writing my own feelings into their characters and seeing what happens. You've not heard the last of the hobbits, although I will try to restrain myself :)

(Incidentally, I too feared the films and now find them wonderful, they're what I like to bury myself in when I'm down andlethargic)

David Baxter PhD

Late Founder
Gayalondiel said:
I don't think you realise what you just let yourself in for... I'm among the more 'fanatical' fans, if one can say that? A lot of my own therapy had derived from, or is rooted in, either comparing myself to charachters of Tolkien's or writing my own feelings into their characters and seeing what happens. You've not heard the last of the hobbits, although I will try to restrain myself :)
If necessary, I can just open up another topic called "Hard Hobbits To Break" or "How To Change Bad Hobbits"... ;o)

Well, see, you're joking now, but within a couple of weeks of my acquaintance, you may find you actually need a 'Dealing with Harmful Hobbits' section ;)

momof5

David Baxter said:
How about

Hobbits: Happy short folk with big feet? or malignant mischief-makers and jewelry thieves? Ask Dr. Smeagol

roflol!

Gayalondiel,
I think you are going to see that David has an excellent sense of humor, that I appreciate tremendously. I think you will also. ;)

jubjub

Hello, Gayalondiel. I am very new to this site, just having discovered it a few days ago. It looks like a super place to visit and , like you, I would like to at least commiserate and empathize with other people's problems and maybe even offer my own humble opinion if I have one. I am a moderator at another forum and I know enough to never give any actual advice that would be harmful to a person's body or soul, but sometimes a person can benefit from another person's insight.

It is quite a wake up call to see that you have a few issues that are similar to mine, although I am much older than you are and have never really come to grips with mine yet. The forum where I moderate is actually a family site and it is created and administered by a fellow from Manchester, U.K.

You completed university? I think that is wonderful and you have a lot to be proud of! I hope you have done well so that you can now move on to bigger and better things. Keep it up!

Hi jubjub,

It's lovely to meet you. I'm sorry to hear that you are going through similar things to me, but that's what places like this are for, right? You certainly sound caring enough to have plenty of both commiserations and good advice for people. If ever you want to talk in private, feel free to drop me a private message or email.

Thank you for the congrats! I've actually just gone through graduation - I was awarded a 2:1, so it's off into the wide (and terrifying) world of work :)

Love Gaya xxx

jubjub

I am so pleased for you, Gaya! I am always so happy when I hear that something positive has happened for someone else. I get a really good feeling inside, so thanks for that.......

I was surprised that you answered my post so quickly. I thought you might not even see it because I believe the last post was in June.

I have been reading some of the posts by others in the introduction section, and I almost want to cry, yet I can't tear myself away. Many members seem so well educated and knowledgable. A few seem to wonder how and why they ended up here (like me!). I am trying to overcome my fear of sounding like a person that people would NOT want to know!

I'm afraid my responses and opinions will be coming directly from life experience and intuition. I only have a Grade ll education, which is to say I didn't even finish high school.

Thanks for your quick resonse, and I hope to see you around the forums!

Anna

sammy

Hi Gayalondiel,
Hope to see more posts from you... :) (I'm new myself).

I'm afraid I can't get into LOTR (since doing the Hobbit at school as a set book when I was 11 and wondering what on earth Hobbits were :)).
My husband and son love the film and books though...
I really enjoy the Harry Potter series, though, as even though there are weird creatures in the books, the main characters are people who talk in a contemporary way, in 21st century culture, (which I can understand ha ha ha).
I found myself crying quite a bit reading Harry Potter books and myself and my husband cried watching the two movies... (our kids think we're weird :))

Replying is not possible. This forum is only available as an archive.