More threads by bloodwood

bloodwood

Full Member, Forum Supporter
I am a computer technician at a local college and quite often I get people coming to me with problems which mean they have lost their files. Their assignments, recipes, songs, photos, wills. Sometimes months or years of work and valuable stuff they have collected. It could be on their hard drive or on their USB drive. Gone. Irrecoverable.

Sometimes it is a failure of a physical component and sometimes it is the result of virus, malware or accidental deletion. Sometimes there may be ways to recover but with more time passing the chances decrease.

Two days ago a staff member brought us her laptop with a lot of very important material on it and it looked like the information might be lost. I gave her my usual lecture about the value of doing a backup and she looked at me and said that backing up isn't really practical for her. I looked at her and asked if it was practical to lose her valued files. Usually it is not. It means redoing the work or regathering the material or it means gone forever.

The purpose of back up is to have the file in two or more places so that if something happens to the primary copy you can retrieve another copy of it. To make this useful you should be doing this at least daily, once a week or even once a month if your files don't change often.

So what can you do to back things up.

There is one good article on this forum to start with if you have Widows 8. But there are other things you can do easily.

Burn it to a CD or DVD - put in a disc and drag your files to it. Then click on "Burn" or "Write" the disc. Use multiple discs if needed. Label and date the disc.

Use backup program -Some windows versions have a convenient backup program or you can buy them or download them for free. They help and coordinate the backup process.

"Use Cloud storage - Cloud storage mean storage out there on the internet. Your Skydrive or Google drive are good options. One of my favorite is dropbox. Drag and drop copies to these storage devices and that's it. All for free.

The other benefit of cloud storage is that they do backups so you are covered twice. You can restore the files they back up in case you delete them. "

Your own hard drive - a temporary backup is to make a folder on you own hard drive and copy files to it. If you lose your computer though, both copies are gone but it is better than nothing. Not a great option.

USB drive - A USB drive is cheap and easy to use. Drag and copy your files to the USB drive so you have two copies of your files. Don't forget to eject the USB drive properly to avoid damage.

Email - If you have a file or two you have created of found you can email them to yourself for a quick convenient backup method.

There are other methods but start with these. They are easy and free, or very cheap and will save you when the inevitable happens. And I promise you that at some time you will lose files. I make my living on it. Please do your backups.

Retired

I learned my lesson several years ago when two, yes two external hard drives I used for alternating backups failed simultaneously, that contained some critical files.

Thankfully a technician referred to me by David Baxter was able to retrieve the data on one of the hard drives, but not from the second.

From then on I have used an online backup service, in addition to an external hard drive as well as a third annual backup on another external hard drive that's kept in a bank safety deposit box.

Even if you have files that you cannot live without, but would cause an inconvenience if they became unavailable, some form of backup is essentia...

The other day one of my wifes recipe folders got inadvertently deleted...thanks to her own online backup....recipes restored in a few seconds!

bloodwood

There are so many reasons to do it and the only one not to are lazy or not sure how.
I do my backups, not nearly often enough, but I do them. We have all lost stuff and it usually takes a loss for most people to start backing up.
I hate to have to be the one to tell people they are out of luck.
I'm glad you benefited Steve.

bloodwood

I have heard of Comodo but was not aware of the backup. I just googled reviews on it and they are generally pretty negative. Sorry, don't know more.I used to use Norton backup and found it good. I just use simple DVD burning.

W00BY

MVP, Forum Supporter
MVP
That's a horror story Steve!

I always think having a back up to a back, which in my case is two external hard drives is the way to go...maybe three now!

Retired

I think the key is to use a medium or service that is safe and reliable. In my opinion, a good quality external hard drive is better than CD or DVD backup, for reliability.

Online backup services can be useful, though file restoration can take a long time for huge restorations, unless you can get your files delivered on a DVD by express. I like using an online cloud backup as a backup of last resort, if all else fails, but I still keep a local backup on a good quality hard drive.

Replying is not possible. This forum is only available as an archive.