More threads by David Baxter PhD

Status
Not open for further replies.

y-bloc

Re: What are you currently listening to?

...Dirty old Town (Pogues), Losing my Religion (REM), Walk Away (S.O.M.), Under Pressure & Let's Dance(David Bowie), P***ing in a River (Patty Smith), Logical Song (Supertamp), Psycho Killer (Talking Heads), Down on The Corner (CCR), Hold Me Now (Tompson Twins)(...playing now) Another weird retro-mix day...

y-bloc

Isolation, Transmission, Heart & Soul, She's Lost Control, Love will Tear Us Apart...all by Joy Division and the (not so)immortal Ian Curtis. Not because I'm depressed...it's just great sound, amazing lyrics. It's a windy bleak day, the music fits it like a glove.

binqs

Love Bach, especially harpsichord: Bach - Concerto for 3 Harpsichords in D minor (BWV 1063)

i had a really good classical selection of music ...until the world went to CD's. Ha! Now, you can't even find what i had...if it didn't make them money in tape, they wouldn't print it in CD's, i'm guessing. <sigh> Samuel Barbers adagio for strings...reduced to a sad video on-line of September 11, 2001 ruminations.

Bach's Tocatta and Fugue in D minor...now points on a video scale on YouTube (appropriate, I guess, because math and music are so related) but still.... If you get past the opening that is so famous...it's such a strong, complex, and yet vulnerable piece. But then you have to suffer the artist who plays...okay, they deserve consideration but they can really strike the wrong feeling. The middle isn't for mamby-pambys. :)

And now Air on the G String sounds ready for mature audiences only. <sigh> :)

Oh, did I mention Jimmy Hendrix for "Watchtower," Stevie Ray Vaugh for "The Sky is Crying," and Cold Play for "Yellow?"

;)

David Baxter PhD

Late Founder

i had a really good classical selection of music ...until the world went to CD's. Ha! Now, you can't even find what i had...if it didn't make them money in tape, they wouldn't print it in CD's, i'm guessing.

I'm not a big fan of Bach but I had the same problem. Some of the versions I had on vinyl are simply out of print and were never released to CD, especially von Karajan's first recordings with the Berlin Philharmonic of the 9 Beethoven Symphonies. You can get the later version he did with that same orchestra (about 8 years later if memory serves) on CD, and it's good - just not as good to my ears as that earlier set.

binqs

Beethoven and Brahms...whoa. I have to literally pull my SO out of depression when he hears Brams.

Was it the Chez who played here...can't remember...but they were GREAT! My SO had to stand up and give the signal that the work was over b/c the audience was dumbfounded. Yep, that's how he ended it. (Not my SO, but Brahms.) :)

I don't like it when my SO gets into Brahms much. There is seldom a "lullabye' associated with that. :(

kimmy

I'm listening to the beatles song 'Let it be' on Youtube...so amazing

I'm currently listening to..... gunfire and explosions!

My husband is enjoying his favorite pastime, Gears of War II, lol. I'm quite used to my living room sounding like a war zone. :)

HBas

One of my favourites just played - not everyone's cup of tea but it makes me realize that we just cannot judge! (I quickly wrote the words down so there might be an error here and there) :)

Everlast ? what it?s like

We?ve all seen the man at the Liqour store begging for your change, The hair on his face is dirty, dread locked and for the main. He asked the man for what he could spare with shame in his eyes, Get a job you f..king slob is all he replied.
God forbid you ever had to walk a mile in his shoes, cause then you really might know what it?s like to sing the blues
Then you really might know what it?s like x5

Mary got pregnant from a kid named Tom saying he was in love, saying Don?t worry about a thing baby dove, I?m the man you?ve been dreaming off. 3 months later he said he won?t date her just for the cause and she swore God Dam I?m gonna find that man and cut off his balls. She asks for the clinic and gets some static walking through the door, They call her a killer and they call her a sinner and they call her a whore
God forbid you ever had to walk a mile in her shoes, then you really might know what it?s like to have to choose
Then you really might know what it?s like x5

I?ve seen a rich man beg, I?ve seen a good man sin, I?ve seen a tough man cry, I?ve seen a looser win and a sad man grin, I?ve heard an honest man lie.
I?ve seen a good side, a bad and a down side, a up and everything in-between, I?ve licked the silver spoon, drank from the Golden Cup and smoked the finest green
I?ve stole Daddy?s dimes at least a couple of times before I broke they heart ? You know where it Ends well it usually depends on where it starts.

I knew this kid names Max, used to get fast stack out on the corner with Drugs. He liked to hang out late, He like to get **** faced keep face with thug?s; until late one night there was a big gun fight and Max lost his head; pulled out his chrome 45 talked some **** and wound up dead; now his wife and his kids are caught in the midst off all of his pain; You know it topples that way at least that?s what they say when you play the game.
God forbid you ever had to wake up to hear the news, then you really might know what it?s like to have to loose
Then you really might know what it?s like.

Mari

MVP

Jazz Cabaret with Denzal Sinclaire but I have not figured out how to do links to music so you will have to search for yourself if you want to have the pleasure.

David Baxter PhD

Late Founder

One of my Favorites from The Rankin Family:

YouTube - We Rise Again

This is one of those songs that gives me chills.

Their last album included a second generation Rankin with one or two of her own compositions.

Jackie

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.