More threads by David Baxter PhD

David Baxter PhD

Late Founder
What not to say when someone panics
by Eric Wilinski
August 22, 2012

1. Just calm down.
"When someone says this, it almost feels like they're telling me what to do. And if I'm already at the point where I can't control my body, it's a request that's impossible to comply with."

2. Why can't you just relax?
"It'd be like relaxing while being chased by a wild animal or running out of a burning building."

3. There's nothing wrong with you.
"My body is shaking. I can't feel my feet. Of course there's something wrong with me. I'm having a panic attack, and I feel miserable."

4. Sit down.
"Let the panicker decide what feels most comfortable for him or her."

5. You're overreacting.
"We already know that."

I could pick nits and say #1 and #2 are essentially the same thing, but this is really good.

GDPR

GDPR
Once,about 8 years ago, I was at my mother's house and started having a panic attack. I started crying and told her I felt like I was going crazy, I didn't know what was wrong with me, I needed help, etc. She laughed at me and said "just stop doing that, stop having panic attacks". And then she made fun of me for it for the next year.

She was very helpful(*sarcasm*).

What an odd reaction for a mother to have when her child is crying... ?? "Just stop doing that?" Oh yes, it's SOOOOOoooo helpful to someone who is already feeling bad about themselves for having these panic attacks, and then they make fun of you??? Saracasm, indeed!

I keep thinking of a movie scene where someone shouts: "OKAY! NOBODY PANIC!!!" Urm.... OK...

Replying is not possible. This forum is only available as an archive.