More threads by desiderata

desiderata

I have been away from the site for a while but have popped in a couple of times. I have noticed a lot of posts from David and Daniel which is fine. I do look for posts from other members who have issues I can relate with. I'm just curious, is this a trend or merely coincidence?

Daniel E.

daniel@psychlinks.ca
Administrator
Nice to "see" you again, Desiderata.

I'm just curious, is this a trend or merely coincidence?

I have noticed a lack of active members not only here but also in the only other forum I go to regularly (on distance learning). I actually just lurk there and have only posted once since everything I need to know is in the forum archives.

On the positive side, Psychlinks is as active as ever when it comes to 3 positive things and cat memes ;)

But one issue may be that online forums have more competition now, e.g. groups on Facebook. In the US, as you may have noticed, Facebook has even started TV advertising in the last year or so for their Facebook groups. Another potential issue may the way Google ranks certain online forums -- as it certainly has seemed to change over the years.

And when it comes to online emotional support, there are more options now, e.g. NAMI in the US provides crisis support by text. Similarly, in the US, if you type "suicide" into Google, you are immediately given a link to chat online with the Suicide Prevention Lifeline.

Last edited:

David Baxter PhD

Late Founder
What @Daniel said above is true for many forums these days. In addition, COVID-19 has created an additional reason for the decline in forum activity: COVID, unemployment, and misinformation/conspiracy theories has eaten up a lot of online time for people pretty much everywhere, plus keeping in touch with friends and family on various apps like Facebook, Tik Tok, etc., where one can't easily see them physically.

YouTube is booming for the whole conspiracy theory/fake news crowd these days.

Daniel E.

daniel@psychlinks.ca
Administrator
Incidentally, I just posted at the distance learning forum since I felt bad about not posting after two years or so. Hope they appreciate that I took time from my busy schedule :coffee: (Actually, I have been busier than usual trying to follow the news to see if we are getting another stimulus in the US. And one good thing about COVID-19 is I have a ton of data now for my master's thesis.)

desiderata

I understand the competition. I also understand the pent up anxieties of people not working and stuck mostly at home. Everyone needs an outlet to express themselves and an outlet that doesn't claim to have all the answers. One that is unbiased and neutral. It's as if we're all waiting for something when actually it is up to us "the people" to collaborate and share information and guidance when the world is turned upside down.

Everyone needs an outlet to express themselves and an outlet that doesn't claim to have all the answers. One that is unbiased and neutral.

In my opinion this is the safest site for expressing ourselves and discussing topics of a sensitive nature. I would no more use Facebook for this, than fly to the moon. It's far too public and they, like Google, harvest data so they can target their ads.

Last edited:

David Baxter PhD

Late Founder
To avoid having your posts indexed in Google, be sure to post in one of the members only forums here. Guests (which includes search engines) cannot see those forums.

Replying is not possible. This forum is only available as an archive.