More threads by joe isuzu

joe isuzu

This is sort of a new experience for me since I really don't spend much time on the computer other than for work. I happened on this site while in search for help & so "Here goes!"
I am a 47 year old male in the "Deep South" who is apparently suffering from AD/HD, as well as several other personal issues including compulsive lying. My life is a wreck, my marriage is a wreck and I have no friends or family to talk to about this. My wife told me for years that she thought I had ADD or AD/HD but I just plain didn't want to hear it. After being kicked out of the Air Force for unadaptability and losing somewhere over 40 jobs (I've lost count) and seeing my marriage and family fall apart, it finally hit me. It's not everyone else, it really is me!
I have no health insurance and we are a single income family by necessity for several reasons, so there is no money for doctors or drugs. I started looking around on the internet for help after finding no resources here in Atlanta. Somehow, I wound up here after David responded to an e-mail from me, pleading for help. He suggested that I try a post here to try & get some feedback. Maybe it will be easier to talk about this openly with people who have the same issues but don't know me.
If anyone has any ideas or suggestions, please let me know. I've run out of places to turn and have pretty much run out of hope as well.
Thanks for letting me unload, Joe Isuzu:juggle:

Daniel E.

daniel@psychlinks.ca
Administrator
Re: Where to start with AD/HD?

My life is a wreck, my marriage is a wreck and I have no friends or family to talk to about this.

...I have no health insurance and we are a single income family by necessity for several reasons, so there is no money for doctors or drugs.

You may want to ask about sliding scale fees. I just looked up Georgia State University's psychology clinic, which is open to the public. Their fees for therapy seem rather low:

The potential client is then scheduled for an intake interview with a clinician. The cost for the intake is $30.00.

GSU Psychology Clinic

The costs at Emory's outpatient clinic:

Ongoing psychotherapy fees range from the $95 maximum fee to a $35 minimum fee. Patients are charged $95 for the initial one-hour evaluation session.

Emory Psychiatry

I also saw this searching Google, but they don't seem to be focused on ADHD symptoms:

Fees are based on a sliding fee scale, ranging from $25 to $85 per session. The sliding scale is based on the client’s income and number of dependents...There is scholarship money available for clients who qualify for a limited number of sessions at $10 per session.

Metropolitan Counseling Services - Frequently Asked Questions

Regarding medication costs, there is Walmart for $4 generic drugs, with many psychiatric medications being available in generic forms.
If your household income is low enough, there is also:
Partnership for Prescription Assistance

As far as paying for a doctor to prescribe them, I don't know what cheaper options may be available. When I didn't have health insurance, I paid out-of-pocket for my psychiatrist at about $75 per visit, with the initial evaluation fee being twice that. However, I would think Atlanta may have more to offer. You may find a cheaper rate by contacting community mental health centers, at least if they offer sliding scale fees. (Such community health centers are typically places that accept Medicaid, which I assume you do not qualify for based on your household income, but you may want to check into that by going to your state's Medicaid website regarding eligibility.)

You may also get ideas about psychiatric and psychological resources by contacting your local NAMI chapter, and they certainly should have a good idea regarding local services like community mental health centers:

NAMI GA Affiliate Locations
NAMI | State & Local NAMIs

Another possible way to find lower-cost treatment centers:
Georgia Crisis Access Line (provides an online directory of outpatient treatment centers)
Service Locator - Georgia.gov (may not be helpful; for most areas, it seems to just direct you to the Georgia Crisis Access Line above)

And calling the United Way at 211 may help, though their online directory doesn't seem very comprehensive:
http://www.unitedwayatlanta.org/e0-211.asp
United Way of Metropolitan Atlanta

Last edited:

Lana

Hi Joe;

I am not an expert in the AD/HD but wanted to welcome you to Psychlinks!
:hithere:
I hope that you find the information that you're seeking here.

Retired

Joe,

Welcome to Psychlinks. You have made an important breakthrough in understanding you may need help with dealing with some issues, and we will be pleased to try pointing you toward resources that might help.

You may use some of Daniel's suggestions to locate a mental health professional within your means to provide a definitive diagnosis. Once you have that, you can then focus on getting the help you need.

Here are some resources that define ADHD:

Mayo Clinic: ADHD Information

Medicine-Net ADHD in Adults

ADHD in Adults Can Hurt Job Performance, Relationships
Source:Mayo Clinic

Attention-deficit/hyperactivity disorder (ADHD) is a condition not limited only to childhood.

According to the April issue of Mayo Clinic Health Letter, more than half of children with ADHD can expect to contend with the condition as adults. ADHD in adults often is more subtle than in children, but still can be troublesome. It usually presents itself in one of two ways or a combination:

Inattention
Prioritizing and focusing on tasks can be enormous challenges. Organizing work or following instructions may be more difficult than it is for others.

Excessive levels of activity or difficult-to-control impulses
Adults with ADHD aren't likely to be as physically active as hyperactive children with ADHD. Instead, adults may experience ongoing feelings of restlessness or have trouble relaxing. An adult may always feel the need to be on the go. Impulsivity may show up as impatience, mood swings, intense anger outbursts or trouble with relationships.

Tip-offs that a medical evaluation is needed include:

• A history of academic or career underachievement.
  • Inconsistent work performance, such as frequently quitting or losing jobs.
  • Difficulty managing daily responsibilities such as paying bills on time or completing household chores.
  • Difficulty with relationships, perhaps related to such behaviors as forgetfulness, being easily angered or not completing tasks.

Interviews and detailed medical and behavioral histories are usually keys to diagnosis. Tests to measure attentiveness and concentration could be part of the evaluation.

Adult ADHD is generally managed with some combination of medication, psychotherapy or life coaching. Many adults with ADHD find counseling helpful. Counseling alone may be sufficient treatment for many adults with this illness.

Don't give up hope, because the disorder is treatable, Joe.

I really don't spend much time on the computer other than for work

Many people do that. Not a problem...if you have any questions about navigating the Forum or any of the links we provide, feel free to ask and we'll walk you through any process that's not clear.

joe isuzu

To those who responded, my thanks. Some of these places I have tried, but others are new to me. Will keep you advised. If there is anyone else out there who is dealing with adult AD/HD, I would appreciate your input. It's kind of a relief, in a way, to finally come to grips with the fact that I have this problem, but it's also frightening as well. I've lost so much of my life to this problem & didn't realize what was going on. The truly sad thing is knowing the damage I have done to those around me without even realizing it.
All I can do is keep keep trying & hope one day I get it right. I've found a lot to think on in the Indigo Girls song, "Galileo" Again, thanks for the input & I'll keep everyone posted. It's good to be able to talk about it without getting blamed for everything and being squashed. Joe Isuzu

Retired

Joe,

It's always a breakthrough to discover the reason for lifelong behaviour later in life. I had that same experience in discovering the reason for my behaviours was due to Tourette Syndrome, which I learned in my middle age years.

It took several years to come to terms with that realization, to deal with it and eventually to feel comfortable with the diagnosis.

Part of the relief you might eventually feel, is knowing you are not the only one in the world, there is a name for your behaviours, and that your behaviours are involuntary. If ADHD is in fact your diagnosis, the disorder is treatable.

Getting a confirmed diagnosis, seeking treatment along with supportive therapy can improve your quality of life immensely.

joe isuzu

Does depression come from the lack of dopamine or does it come from just constantly feeling like everything you do is wrong and never being able to get your life on track. What do you do to help keep yourself moving? I feel like the mule that gets harnessed to the wagon & then has a carrot dangled in front of him. No matter how long I pull the wagon, no matter how much I try, it never seems to make a difference. At the end of the day, I go back to the empty stable with nothing to look forward to but the wagon again. :confused:

Daniel E.

daniel@psychlinks.ca
Administrator
Regarding the possible causes of depression symptoms:

Major depressive disorder - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Diathesis-stress model - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Cognitive therapy - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

No matter how long I pull the wagon, no matter how much I try, it never seems to make a difference.

Certainly, trying to manage untreated symptoms on one's own can lead to such a feeling of being stuck and feeling hopeless, and hopelessness itself can be a symptom.

BTW, if you are interested in in-person support groups (as a supplement to obtaining professional treatment), I am sure there are a number in Atlanta for various mental health issues, including including adult ADD, e.g.:

Georgia Support Groups for Adults with ADD

Last edited:

joe isuzu

Daniel,
Actually, I was referred to the local branch of CHADD through another site. I have contacted them and recieved a response. There are complications within my life that will not allow me to exercise this option. I suppose this is my fault but it is just not possible right now. The only avenue I am allowed is to find a physician or psychiatrist and to get a clinical diagnosis right now. After being diagnosed & possibly getting on medication to help control this, maybe that option will open up. I appreciate the feedback and will keep you posted on new developments. Thanks, Joe Isuzu:juggle:

Replying is not possible. This forum is only available as an archive.