More threads by HA

HA

What are the reasons that men and women cheat on their marriage partners? Are they the same for both genders?

Halo

Good question HeartArt and I am really really looking forward to the answer or more insight on this one.

David Baxter PhD

Late Founder
I would say, based on my work with couples, (1) that the reasons are many and varied; and (2) that the reasons for males and females who cheat are pretty much the same.

• dissatisfaction with the marriage - the biggest factor
  • boredom
  • anger at the spouse/partner
  • desire for excitement
  • desire for novelty
  • need for reassurance and affirmation
  • fears about growing older

These are probably the big ones.

Don't forget that in spite of all the publicity given to cheating in relationships, there are still many people who don't cheat. It's easy to become cynical about humanity reading the newspaper or magazines but there's another side to it as well. A successful (and faithful) marriage isn't usually news - only the unsuccessful ones get talked about.

Similar threads

The answer is no, but I have a Ask a preacher that I remember does answer questions like that. Thanks again. Was high strung.
Replies
Views
Married with ADHD: 12 Relationship Killers ? and Saviors Additude Magazine Posted September 22, 2015 ADHD doesn't cause divorce. But ignoring, underestimating, or getting defensive about the impact of ADHD symptoms on your relationship just might. Here are 12 secrets to building a strong partnership that every couple living with ADHD should read. Online Slideshow |12 Secrets to a Happy, Healthy ADHD Marriage Marriage can be difficult, especially if one or both of you have ADHD. But it...
Replies
Views
Applying similar ideas to platonic friendships: https://www.theatlantic.com/family/archive/2022/03/arranged-marriage-inspired-friendship/627608/?utm_source=pocket-newtab “I knew many old couples who had happy and loving arranged marriages. I thought, If it worked for them, why couldn’t it work for friendships?”
Replies
Views
Therapy can help even very distressed married couples, UCLA study finds April 20, 2010 Both partners must be strongly committed to saving their marriage The largest, most comprehensive clinical trial of couple therapy ever conducted has found that therapy can help even very distressed married couples if both partners want to improve their marriage. The study also involved the longest and most comprehensive follow-up assessment of couple therapy ever conducted.”It takes only one person to...
Replies
Views
That would be funny :) To answer your question - 1) if there's an American flag flying in the background: go for it :2thumbs:; situtation 2) if the flag is Canadian, you may want to resist that temptation...Although...it would still be quite funny (for the people in open court at least)...:)
Replies
Views