More threads by David Baxter PhD

David Baxter PhD

Late Founder
Why Wishing to Be Happier Can Be a Road to Unhappiness
by Elisha Goldstein, Ph.D.
May 31, 2012

We are a culture driven by the motto more is better. If we turn on the television or glance over at the magazines at the checkout line in any grocery store, we see the sensational ?bling? and the ?more? we are looking for. Our minds automatically say, ?If I just had a bigger house, a partner, more money, a snow cone, etc? then I?d be happy.?

Waltor Landor accurately said, ?As soon as we wish to be happier, we are no longer happy.?

Landor?s quote echoes a millennia of teachings that say the same thing. As soon as we are reaching or grasping for something that is outside of this present moment, we get the sense that what we are or have is less than adequate in this moment. Our contentment drifts away and so does the potential for happiness right now.

For example, we could be feeling quite content in the moment and then see the car we?ve been wanting drive by with the thought, ?Ahh, I?d feel better if I had that car.? Immediately, we are no longer content with the way things are. Our situation hasn?t changed at all, just a thought of ?wanting or needing more? than we currently have has drifted into our minds, followed by feelings of discontent.

What to do: Be on the lookout for this ?wanting.? As soon as you notice it, you are in a space of clarity where an opportunity for choosing a new response lies. This is The Now Effect, and we can train our minds to more readily drop into these spaces.
With an attitude of curiosity and non-judgment, we can notice when this is happening and recognize it as a habitual reaction our minds get caught up in. We can also notice the feeling that comes along with it (i.e, despair). This is the conditioned interaction between your thoughts, emotions and body.

You don?t have to buy into it ? just become aware of it. When you?re aware of it, you can bring yourself back to the now and recognize that you likely have all you need and in fact, you are likely better off than most on this planet.

Then: Choose to list 5 things you are grateful for in your life in that moment. See what happens. You may not be aware enough to do this each time, but beginning to plant this seed can pave a path toward greater freedom and happiness.

Remember, author and renowned mindfulness teacher, Thich Nhat Hanh says, ?There is no way to happiness, happiness is the way.?

Retired

We are a culture driven by the motto more is better.

Depending on where you live and the number of different media you might be exposed to, the constant bombardment of this message can be very intense.

Television, newspaper and internet advertising, car sales ads, "new improved" product ads, food ads; medication and over the counter preparation ads to lose weight, have stronger bones, better sex, less pain, less indigestion, longer life; infomercials that promise everything that will make your life better, and if that's not good enough, you can double your pleasure by just paying separate shipping and handling; not to mention the political ads that promise a better life...

it seems the messages never stop, and we become conditioned to feel we're entitled to be doing better or have more.

What can we do to re-program our expectations to be content with what we have?

Replying is not possible. This forum is only available as an archive.