More threads by lallieth

lallieth

Yesterday and today have been freezing with temps of -26 C...I wont even take my golden out for her mornin walk..she gets 20 feet and then does the paw lift.That's my golden Hannah in my avatar pic

Next week however,we are suppose to get temps in the +++++ (crosses fingers) and it will be a nice break..

Halo

Yes it has been really cold...I actually found this morning colder than yesterday although they said on the radio that it was colder yesterday :rolleyes: I am not liking these temps very much...I am done with Winter....bring on Spring :D

lallieth

Yes it has been really cold...I actually found this morning colder than yesterday although they said on the radio that it was colder yesterday :rolleyes: I am not liking these temps very much...I am done with Winter....bring on Spring :D
I agree..sadly though we have a long wait for spring..I think the damp cold has to be the worst though..goes right through you

Also quite a bit of stomach flu going around TIS THE SEASON

Last edited by a moderator:

Retired

We've been following the weather reports in Ottawa to empathize with friends and family. However those of us snowbirds in Florida who hope to escape winter in Canada, got a dose of winter yesterday and today.

Many communities in East Central Florida had snow flurries this morning!...:hissyfit:

So, we were able to empathize in real terms with our friends in Ottawa this morning

:canadian:

David Baxter PhD

Late Founder
Florida freeze could hike cost of orange juice
Thursday, January 3, 2008
CBC News

Canadians could see a spike in the price of orange juice as farmers in Florida brace for a brief cold snap that could damage some crops.

The state is under a freeze warning Thursday, with temperatures expected to dip to record lows of -9 C. On Wednesday, northern parts of the state had temperatures of -1 C, with forecasters warning Thursday would be colder.

"Growers are definitely concerned any time the temperature is forecast to dip near 30 degrees [-1 C]," said Andrew Meadows, a spokesman for the grower advocacy group Florida Citrus Mutual.

"We will have a lot of growers across the state pulling all-nighters, and keeping a close watch on their groves and the temperature. We are cautiously optimistic the industry can weather this cold snap without significant damage."

Canadians could see a spike in the price of orange juice as farmers in Florida brace for a brief cold snap that could damage some crops.

A drop of water begins to fall from melting ice covering oranges on a tree near Modesto, Calif., on Jan. 16, 2007, nearly a year before freezing temperatures are again threatening the state's orange crop.
(Rich Pedroncelli/Associated Press)
The state is under a freeze warning Thursday, with temperatures expected to dip to record lows of -9 C. On Wednesday, northern parts of the state had temperatures of -1 C, with forecasters warning Thursday would be colder.

"Growers are definitely concerned any time the temperature is forecast to dip near 30 degrees [-1 C]," said Andrew Meadows, a spokesman for the grower advocacy group Florida Citrus Mutual.

"We will have a lot of growers across the state pulling all-nighters, and keeping a close watch on their groves and the temperature. We are cautiously optimistic the industry can weather this cold snap without significant damage."

Continue Article

Orange juice futures rose in trading in New York on Wednesday on news of the freeze alert, signalling consumers could pay more for their morning fix in the new year.

Florida Gov. Charlie Crist on Wednesday signed an emergency order and relaxed restrictions in getting harvests moved to processing centres. Worth $9 billion US, Florida has the largest citrus industry in the United States.

"Everybody's scurrying around to do what they can to protect their plants," said Terry McElroy, spokesman for the state Department of Agriculture and Consumer Services.

Orange crops can withstand some cold weather, but prolonged freezing temperatures can ruin an entire grove.

A temperature of 0 C for four hours can ruin an orange, while a temperature of -2 C for four hours can ruin an entire orange tree.

Broccoli and cabbage crops in the north, as well as strawberries, tomatoes and corn in the south are also threatened.

ladylore

Account Closed
I use to live in NW Ontario and remember the snow banks and the freezing cold weather - I am so happy I moved to the west coast - all we have had is rain.:dance: And yes, now I am spoiled. :D

lallieth

I use to live in NW Ontario and remember the snow banks and the freezing cold weather - I am so happy I moved to the west coast - all we have had is rain.:dance: And yes, now I am spoiled. :D
Lady,my husband is from the west coast and reminds me EACH time it gets this cold,how nice it would be to move back to BC

just mary

Why do we stay in Canada with such cold winters? I honestly think we forget about the winter once spring and summer arrives. I don't know how often I've stood at the bus stop in mid January muttering to myself about the -39 degree celsius windchill, but talk to me on a warm May morning and I'll think, it wasn't that bad. Maybe we just block it all out??

Halo

I think you might be right JM...maybe we do block it out once the Spring and Summer hit. I know that since I started driving to work and stopped taking the bus I don't seem to notice the cold temperatures as much...I have to say that I totally don't miss the bus anymore.

could you all just keep the cold air up there? Please? LOL.

The weather reports usually say something like "and coming down from Canada, frigid air."

David Baxter PhD

Late Founder
Lately, our biggest storms have been coming up northeast from the US or up along the east coast.

I have a sneaking suspicion that Abigail has been directing them up here - just because I called her feisty. :panic:

Halo

So now I know why we are getting all the storms....darn that little Abigail, tricky little girl she is :lol:

Replying is not possible. This forum is only available as an archive.