More threads by scarlet

scarlet

Hi everyone :hello:

I was wondering if anyone writes as a form of therapy? I often read to escape the world, losing myself in another world like Middle Earth or flying across the sky on Saphira with Eragon. But writing has become my best friend and also a great survival mechanism.

I write short stories and poetry, but I also write what I call survival writing where I will sit in from of my computer when I'm feeling low and just write. It doesn't matter what I write or if it makes sense or not, it's a way of getting out what's inside me and it does help.

When I'm back to being me again I will go back and read what I wrote, sometimes this makes me cry, but it can also help me understand where I was at the time if that makes sense to you all?

I've been told that some of my best writing was done when I was in a very deep dark place, as I get more comfortable with the site I hope to be able to share some of my writing with you.

scarlet

this is too cute --> :thewave:

Halo

Scarlet,

Yes I can relate to that form of writing as I do it quite often especially when I need to release a lot of emotions that I don't feel that I can put into words. I call it like a free-flow writing exercise where whatever I think and feel just flows onto the page and I don't hold back on anything. For me it normally reveals a lot of what I am feeling and thinking that I didn't realize was so intense such as anger or sadness. Often I will often bring it or send it to my therapist as an indication of where I am at in my head.

I find it very helpful to just write "whatever comes to mind" just to get it out of my head and stop the swirling thoughts going round and round in my head.

Hi Scarlet,

I write to let out anger and other emotions, I write letters to people when Im angry with them, ones that I never send, just shred them up a few days later, use to write lots of poems and small storys, usually horror or sci fi type stuff!!
:thewave: this is my favourite one too!!!

Meg

Dr. Meg, Global Moderator, Practitioner
MVP
Hi Scarlet,

Writing has been a huge help for me too. I started my journal the same day that I started therapy. Therapy has been over for about 6 months for me now, but I still write in the journal. It's amazing how much clearer everything seems (to me anyway!) when it's written down. It's always eye-opening when I look back through the entries - they started out being so disjointed and rambly, and now they're very clear...to the point of being a bit analytical actually! I used to write poetry, but haven't done any of that for quite a while. I've kept a couple that I thought weren't too terrible :)

It's great that you have discovered that writing is so helpful for you. Thanks for sharing your ideas with us :)

:search: <-- this one is my favourite smiley, it's just so random!

(Welcome to Psychlinks)

Meg

braveheart

I write too. Always have done. Always will.

I'm currently reading my diaries from when I was 18 [am 37 now] and its powerful and therapeutic to read them.

NightOwl

Yes I like writing a lot of my emotions down. It's a great way of pouring out all my feelings without hurting anybody. I've started writing an autobiography, I've had a lot of things happen in my life and I am going to include, with a bit of courage, about the attack I sustained, the after-effects, and how I've coped since and how it's changed my direction in life. I have a very good friend who is a professional journalist and he has helped me by re-writing some of my words and he's given me a lot of advice.

So maybe something good will come out of something bad.

NightOwl

I used to like writing, but I'm wary of writing anything down that could be used against me in any way. People have taken things the wrong way at times when they've seen what I wrote. I even regret most of what I've written here. Hypocrite that I am. :(

just mary

Hi Scarlet,

I'm not much of a writer but I have tried it from time to time and it does help. However, I'm like Janet in some ways, I worry that someone else will see it and misinterpret what I've wrote. But it helps so I try to keep it in a safe place where only I can find it. I would love to write poetry.

Take care,

jm

Replying is not possible. This forum is only available as an archive.