More threads by girlnextdoor

Hi yes I'm new. I've suffered from anxiety and agoraphobia for years and years. I have been on Xanax for over 20 years at the same dose. Over the last 6 months my doctor\gp wanted me to start tapering off of it for she hates it. Ever since I've been dropping a pill a month I've become worse. Anxiety sky high, sleep problems big time, unsteady, get headaches easily, stomach problems, etc., etc. I just feel horrid. Are these normal withdrawal symptoms and do they or will they ever go? I'm struggling on a half I'm taking now. I'm barely functioning. She put me on clonazapam but its not doing much at all. Will this horror ever end ? Thank you.

Last edited by a moderator:

AmZ

Hi, welcome :)

What has your tapering plan been? How long and for which dosages have you been taking to slowly come off?

David Baxter PhD

Late Founder
Hi, girlnextdoor. Has your doctor prescribed anything else, for example one of the SSRIs, to replace the Xanax eventually? Something like Effexor or Cipralex might help you to cope with the anxiety, etc., that you're experiencing while withdrawing from Xanax. If this hasn't yet been discussed, you might raise it as a possibility with your doctor.

Thank you for the replies. I started by reducing my first dose figuring that leaving the last dose would be better since I would have it in my system longer. I'm literally breaking the half now in bits and taking it 3xs like I use to take it. Its horrible. I was on 3.5 mgs a day. Now on .5mg.

I've tried 5 ssris and they don't agree with me.

I'm just wondering how long these withdrawal will last for. Months? A year? I'm worse off then I started and going backwards with trying to work on the agor and even basics like cleaning is a challenge. Its debilitating and frustrating. :(

Retired

Dr. Baxter said:
Has your doctor prescribed anything else, for example one of the SSRIs, to replace the Xanax eventually?

girlnextdoor,

Your reply to Dr. Baxter's question will assist in gaining some insights into your therapeutic plan.

girlnextdoor said:
Over the last 6 months my doctor\gp wanted me to start tapering off of it for she hates it.

Your doctor may have changed her view of the clinical benefit of this particular medication, but was the Xanax alone relieving your symptoms of anxiety and agoraphobia?
girlnextdoor said:
I've tried 5 ssris and they don't agree with me

Would you elaborate a little on what problems you encountered?

SSRI's do not all affect everone the same way, and some are better tolerated than others, and interestingly even if a particular compound was not well tolerated in the past, it sometimes can be better tolerated on a second try. Additionaly, many side effects of this type of medication diminish over time, as the body becomes accustomed (acclimated) to the new balance of neurochemicals.

If you are experiecning symptoms of anxiety and agoraphobia, these are treatable conditions, and you owe it to yourself to improve your quality of life by trying something else, if one particular type of therapy does not appear to relieve symptoms.

girlnextdoor said:
I'm just wondering how long these withdrawal will last for.

If you folow the tapering instructions provided by the doctor, complete withdrawl usually takes a few weeks, to about a month.

She put me on clonazapam but its not doing much at all.

...are you replacing the Xanax with clonazepam while tapering, or starting the clonazepam one the Xanax has been completely withdrawn?

Is the clonazepam intended to replace the Xanax on a long term basis or is the doctor planning to add other medication?

She hasn't been clear or consistent with what her plan is med wise. Its just been let's try this. I started on clonazapam over a year ago because I had asked about combining the two thinking it would be more beneficial. Gp agreed. The xanax most definitely helped my symptoms at 3.5mgs I was on. Even at 2mgs it was helping tremendously. Her response was that xanax is very dangerous and she didn't like prescribing it. I have only been with her for 2 years.

I've tried zoloft, celexa, paxil, and 2 others I don't remember right now. The last 1 I tried I experienced severe nausea and headaches. I stayed on it for 3 weeks and couldn't keep dealing with it. Especially already feeling horrid from xanax tapering.

Is what I'm experiencing also rebound anxiety? Like what the xanax has been hiding for 20+ years.? Every drop I get worse and haven't experienced any relief.

Retired

The last 1 I tried I experienced severe nausea and headaches. I stayed on it for 3 weeks and couldn't keep dealing with it.

Acclimation to SSRI's takes about three to four weeks, and nausea is the side effect most people find gets better with time. Sometimes the doctor can prescribe temporary medications to relieve the symptoms of bothersome side effects during the initial startup period, so if your doctor proposes another SSRI as an option, consider giving it a try, while working closely with the doctor to help relieve possible unwanted side effects. You might owe it to yourself to keep trying until you find the medication that works best for you.

She hasn't been clear or consistent with what her plan is med wise

This is where you need to advocate for yourself, to work in a partnership with your doctor. By doing the research you are currently doing, you are building your knowlege and undderstanding of the various treatment options, so that when you see your doctor you can ask some very pertinent questions.

You may consider writing down your questions prior to your appointment, so you can go through them one by one.

You need to clearly understand your diagnosis, the treatment options, the benefits and risks of each option so a joint decision can be made for what's best for you. Once the treatment option is decided on, you need to ask questions about how to take what's being prescribed, what to expect in the way of symptom relief and when, and what to expect in the way of possible side effects. Finally, you need to establish a communication plan with your doctor, to be able to report any concerns or problems you might encounter so side effects can be dealt with right away.

Her response was that xanax is very dangerous and she didn't like prescribing it

Every medication has benefits and risks, so the right medication has to be selected where the benefits outweigh the risks. You could ask your doctor what are the risks with Xanax in your case that outweigh the benefits.

Is what I'm experiencing also rebound anxiety?

It would be impossible to answer that question without knowing your medical history; so your doctor is in the best situation to clarify that concern; and then offer some possible options to help deal with the discomfort you are experiencing.

Thank you for your help its appreciated a lot.

I'll be honest I'm willing to try 1 more ssri then enough. I guess I'm just tired of the weeks of hell on them only for it not to work. I feel I've given them a fair chance after 6. As for the nausea I was told after asking to just take gravol. However 1 shouldn't be using that for that long of a duration as the pharmacist told me.

I've asked a few times about why stopping the xanax and as I told you the response is its dangerous and I don't like it. Imho its just as dangerous as the clonazopam. I'm just upset since the xanax was helping and I've never had to up dosage in 21 yrs now I've been on it. So why mess with something that's not broken. Yet I'm at the mercy of my gp and don't have a choice.

All I know is that I'm horrible now. I've never been like this ever and its so upsetting and frustrating. I'd give my arm to be back to how I felt and how I was doing etc just a mere 3mths ago even.

Thank you again

Replying is not possible. This forum is only available as an archive.